The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock

Go down 
+6
DeathCult
manny
Akeldama
Fat Freddy
S.D.
Special Guest
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 7:11 pm

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like the first 4 Foreigner albums. I was a HUGE fan of theirs from age 9 thru 13 and while I probably only listen to them about once every 7 years I still enjoy them when the mood strikes.

You may not like the style they play but it's damn near perfectly produced corporate rock, catchy as hell and designed expressly for radio airplay.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 pm

I like Foreigner as well even past their first 3 which I really like...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

S.D. wrote:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I like the first 4 Foreigner albums.  I was a HUGE fan of theirs from age 9 thru 13 and while I probably only listen to them about once every 7 years I still enjoy them when the mood strikes.  

You may not like the style they play but it's damn near perfectly produced corporate rock, catchy as hell and designed expressly for radio airplay.  

See I think my ears are wired differently than Foreigner fans. I do enjoy that style of music, but their tracks sound lifeless and generic compared to many a radio rock band of the era. I had the first four albums as well as the live and listened to them often simply because it seemed like something I should enjoy--but it did nothing but give me a sour stomach. Lou's voice is bland, Mick, who is a fantastic guitar player, sounds tired, and the production on those albums feels so flat to me. But millions disagree, so I'm odd man out with this band, which is cool.  Smile
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm

corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
For every cool Styx song like "Blue Collar Man" or "Renegade" (a personal fave) there's a sappy piece of shit ballad like "Babe" or "Don't Let It End" that drags it down.

I bought a Styx best-of a while ago for a buck and that's probably the only Styx CD I'm ever gonna need.

I have most of their vinyl; been thinking of getting rid of it but I don't know how 'cause no one wants it haha.

Did anyone hear their reunion disc that came out several years ago? Painful, painful shit, just awful.

Do you have any of the Wooden Nickel label stuff?

Yeah, too bad about Babe....... There are some cool keyboard sounds in that song. Too bad the song sux! Babe is from Cornerstone... only three good songs on that album(Lights, Love In The Midnight & Boat On a River).

I have Grand Illusion through Killroy Was Here; I just looked up their discog and it looks like they had more early albums than I thought. I figured I was only missing I, II, and Equinox.

Here are some samples from the Wooden Nickel albums:

I REALLY dig the organ solo in this song!

I only dig the second half of this medley(from about 7 mins. on).

You'll either like them or not............. but do take a listen.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 3:14 pm

Right on thx Joe; I'll take a listen tonight with the headphones. Smile
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Even in Styx's wicked popular period, they never completely abandoned prog. They always knew how to throw that little something extra into a pop song to jazz it up, make it a little more complex. Like the badass Gentle Giant-esque interlude of "Lights" (about 2:25):

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Styx on the other hand I'm perfectly comfortable hating.

LOL
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:09 pm

No one seems to talk about The Eagles anymore. What say everyone? I tend to go back and forth with em.

Another band i used to live as a kid but can't take much of anymore it's Lynnard Skynnard (sp). I thank radio and rednecks for that.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:18 pm

I can't stand 99.9% of Southern Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd irks me the most. I have always dug The Eagles, they have had great guitarists in their ranks. I can't stand Henley and the only reason I jam "The End Of The Innocence" album is for Mike Campbell's guitar work.

I consider The Eagles as more Country Rock as far as up to a certain year, not unlike The Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, etc.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:20 pm

I heard The Eagles way too much around the house growing up, my mother had Greatest Hits Vol.1 and 2 on infinite repeat. Never need to hear any of their material ever again for as long as I live.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 1:37 am

Welp, as quiet as it's been herein, I suppose everyone is thinking the same way Shawn. Lol.

Thing that bugged me about The Eagles is that they couldn't decide if they were country, hard Rock, soft rock, or all of the above.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 am

I have to admit really not liking Bachman Turner Overdrive. I dig The Guess Who, but this stuff to me is just prototypical meat & potatoes, lowest common denominator rock.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:09 am

S.D. wrote:
I have to admit really not liking Bachman Turner Overdrive.  I dig The Guess Who, but this stuff to me is just prototypical meat & potatoes, lowest common denominator rock.  

BTO is just that. Nothing genuine, just bonehead rock with terrible, annoying vocal patterns. Guess Who is a different world and it's too bad Randy made such a dumbbutt switch.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 6:56 pm

corplhicks wrote:

BTO is just that. Nothing genuine, just bonehead rock with terrible, annoying vocal patterns. Guess Who is a different world and it's too bad Randy made such a dumbbutt switch.

More or less agreed. BTO doesn't bother me when I'm in a bonehead rock sort of mood but they're definitely not in the same league as Guess Who. Hell, they aren't even playing the same sport.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 pm

S.D. wrote:
I heard The Eagles way too much around the house growing up, my mother had Greatest Hits Vol.1 and 2 on infinite repeat.  Never need to hear any of their material ever again for as long as I live.  

I don't like the eagles at all...... There music annoys the hell out out me
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Akeldama wrote:
I can't stand 99.9% of Southern Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd irks me the most.

I hate almost all southern rock, just about the only exception was The Allman Brothers Band while Duane was still alive.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 4:27 pm

I like the ABB, funny cuz a Hick-spanic such as myself I like Country Rock but hate Southern Rock...
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 2:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:
No one seems to talk about The Eagles anymore. What say everyone? I tend to go back and forth with em.

Speaking of The Eagles, I'm going to see them this Thurs. My gracious MIL and wife insisted and the former bought the tickets (150 ea!). I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be, but I'm sure it will be a great show, and we're right on front of Walsh, who is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 9:44 am

Can't say I care much for the Eagles. Whatever I've heard on the radio was good enough for me to never want to dig any further. With that being said, I did really enjoy the History of the Eagles documentary on Showtime.

Don Henley and Glenn Frey are real douche bags, but I'd recommend this doc even if you don't like the band.

corplhicks wrote:
we're right on front of Walsh, who is my favorite
I've been spinning The James Gang's Greatest Hits quite a bit lately and debating on whether I should dig a little deeper into their catalog. Primarily the Joe Walsh years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock   The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Worst Of 70's Hard Rock
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2