The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!

Go down 
+4
MetalGuy71
Akeldama
SpectreFate
Special Guest
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! Empty
PostSubject: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:05 am

I'd just like to say that I'm a huge Billy Joel fan. I've got all of his studio albums, and even the worst ones have something I can enjoy on them. He's a great songwriter, not to mention a great singer and pianist.

I've been kinda curious to know what other people here might think of him. I think albums like Piano Man, Turnstiles, and especially The Stranger have something that everyone can love, although I'm not huge on most of his 80's material. Anyway, any other fans? Anyone hate him? I'd love to hear it

Oh yeah, and Captain Jack rocks hard
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 am

Billy Joel is one of those artists that I understand has a rich musical history, but I can't think of a single song that doesn't make me cringe when I hear it. I have the same problem with Bruce Springsteen. I respect him, but don't prefer him.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 7:26 am

I like a handful or so of his songs but even then only if I have no choice but to listen to them. I bsolutely hate the "in the middle of the night" song. I remember hearing his Glass Houses album being played a lot when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am

I'm a fan. I had (or my parents did) some of his albums from the 70's and a coupla tapes. The only things I've upgraded to cd however is the Greatest Hits collection.

I've seen him live a few times, solo and with Elton John. I think he's a great story teller in his lyrics. Everytime I've seen him live, I always say I'm gonna update my cd collection with his 70's stuff, but never get around to it. Someday maybe.

Like Springsteen (whom I can take or leave), Billy Joel has a huge fan-base in the Philadelphia area. The story is that a local dj helped him break into the big time by playing 'Captain Jack' all the time, back in the days when a dj could actually choose their own music and actually influence an audience. Whenever he plays Philly, he always puts 'Captain Jack' in the set list.

I believe he's 3rd behind the Grateful Dead (53) and Springsteen (53) for sold-out shows in Philadelphia with 48.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am

I admire his talent, but I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic than listen to his albums.

Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Bob Seger - 4 artists that I just can't get into in any way shape or form. It's like music created for some other species that I don't belong to. It sounds that 'alien' to me, just makes zero emotional connection.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Quote :
Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Bob Seger - 4 artists that I just can't get into in any way shape or form

I like Elton's 70's stuff well enough. Not a huge fan, but the Greatest Hits is good enough for me. He's fun to see live too.

Springsteen was crammed down our collective throats by commercial radio in my town, so I can live without him too. 'Rosalita' is alright though.

Bob Seger. I never got the appeal. I think it's a Detroit/mid-west thing.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Elton has a couple of good songs. I always wanted to like him a lot more than I actually do. Springsteen also, he's a talented guy, I just can't stand to listen to him.

For whatever reason Joel stands out to me. And let's not forget that he was the frontman of the greatest heavy metal band of all time, Attila
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Quote :
Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Bob Seger - 4 artists that I just can't get into in any way shape or form. It's like music created for some other species that I don't belong to. It sounds that 'alien' to me, just makes zero emotional connection.

+1

No offense to any fans present, but I think these artists are successful because of EXTREMELY white people with absolutely no soul (or rhythm). These folks are big in the Northeast. I'm just sayin'. Wink
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

That could be it I suppose. I forgot to add "John Cougar Mellancamp" to my list of those artists I just don't get.

Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 8:33 pm

S.D. wrote:
That could be it I suppose. I forgot to add "John Cougar Mellancamp" to my list of those artists I just don't get.

I can't keep up with his name changes - is it couger, couger-mellancamp or mellancamp????
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I can't keep up with his name changes - is it couger, couger-mellancamp or mellancamp????

Whatever he calls himself I'm still not a fan. LOL.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys, can't stand Billy Joel. Or the rest of those named, with the exception of Springsteen. Always liked his stuff quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

+1

No offense to any fans present, but I think these artists are successful because of EXTREMELY white people with absolutely no soul (or rhythm). These folks are big in the Northeast. I'm just sayin'. Wink

Yup, we are a soul-less WASPy bunch up here. Hey kids, look...a black person!! Neat-o.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yup, we are a soul-less WASPy bunch up here. Hey kids, look...a black person!! Neat-o.

That's what I thought. I mean yous guys like Pastrami. What the hell is Pastrami?
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 5:00 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

That's what I thought. I mean yous guys like Pastrami. What the hell is Pastrami?

Pastrami is a higher class of Salami, but us poor folk only know Baloney. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm

gershom wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Pastrami is a higher class of Salami, but us poor folk only know Baloney. Very Happy

...on some Wonder bread with a little mayo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!   But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

But Captain Jack will get ya high tonight!
Page 1 of 1