The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Black Crowes

Go down 
+6
Shawn
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
S.D.
DeathCult
Akeldama
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:31 am

Any fans? I have every album they've done and I like every era but I must say The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion, Amorica and Three Snakes And One Charm were their best IMO.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I can't believe I wasted my time with this thread... The Black Crowes 637403 The Black Crowes 218431
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Yeah, they are a waste of time, sorry. Razz
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 am

It's cool man. I think The Black Crowes are a talented band, I've seen them live and they were excellent.

But...the problem, is that the band they are most like (The Rolling Stones)...is also a band I don't like very much. Another band that I can appreciate but don't really get any pleasure from.

I have no issues with them, just not a group I feel the need to collect.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:12 am

I'm a long time fan. Saw them live a few times, opening for Aerosmith and the infamous ZZ Top tour that they were kicked off because of Chris Robinson's rant about "corporate sponsorship" on a tour sponsored by Miller Beer. Got to see them when they did the tour with Jimmy Page, playing Zep tunes and some old blues covers too. Incredible.

I used to have a pair of jeans with a pair of cartoon black crows painted on the leg. I copied it from the inside cover of the Shake Your Money Maker album. I thought their last album Warpaint was a little boring and I have yet to purchase the new one, Before the Frost...

But yea, you could say I'm a fan.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Ehh, the Crowes... don't love'em but don't hate'em either. I saw them when they were touring for the first record, opening for Aerosmith (on the PUMP tour). Thought they were pretty good, bought that album (on cassette) and then the follow up (SOUTHERN HARMONY & MUSICAL COMPANION) a year or two later. Then I pretty much lost track of 'em after that.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 pm

It occured to me earlier today I was thinking of the Counting Crowes. I haven't the foggiest who the Black Crowes are.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Damn, DC you made me laugh so hard I spit Guinnes all over the moniter! WTF have you been tokin'?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Damn, DC you made me laugh so hard I spit Guinnes all over the moniter! WTF have you been tokin'?

It's fucking magical man.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 pm

I generally don't get too into bands like them, but The Southern Harmony... is a GREAT album, IMO...
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Amorica is pretty bitchin'.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I love the fucking Black Crowes, saw these cannabis happy bastards live and they where great, of course it helps that I am a Rolling Stones fanboy
Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 pm

I love the Crowes as well, but can't stand the Stones.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 7:54 am

I bet the Crowes do put on a good live show...too bad I'll probably never see them.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:36 am

Spec wrote:
I love the Crowes as well, but can't stand the Stones.

Alot of fans agree with your statement, I never totally get that since the Black Crowes are like the bastard children of Keith and Mick, I have to admit I am bigger fan of the Stones then the Black Crowes.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:58 am

The Crowes have a strong Stones influence...and it's obvious...but they are more Southern USA/Blues sounding than the Stones...IMO
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:07 am

The S wrote:
The Crowes have a strong Stones influence...and it's obvious...but they are more Southern USA/Blues sounding than the Stones...IMO

Yes that is true, the Stones also absorbed a strong blues influence and mixed with Chuck Berry rock n roll style, where Black Crowes had that with a touch of Southern rock
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:14 pm

And I like both bands but I prefer the Crowes by far.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 2:31 pm

The S wrote:

I used to think that too. That is until I started listening to The Faces. I hear much more similiarity to them than the Stones now. Of course, you could say that the Faces were influenced to the Stones, so the circle is complete.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 pm

I've always thought the Crowes were influenced by Bad Co. and The Faces, Chris in particular by Paul Rodgers and Steve Mariott.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Shawn wrote:

I hear that, but also a Humble Pie influence, as well(mostly Smokin' and Eat It). I like the Stones Mick Taylor period the most(Exile mostly).

Love the Crowes!!!!!

It took me a long time to get into Warpaint(in fact, just this year). Oh Josephine is a beautiful song and Locust Street just speaks to me. Now, I have that and Before The Frost, Until the Freeze on vinyl and cd.

I think I was initially dissappointed in Warpaint because I really wanted a Crowes album with Marc Ford back in the mix. Especially since I saw them at The Fillmore with MFF on guitar and they sounded GREAT.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 am

I hate to say it, but I think I'm done with the Black Crowes. Their last few albums have just bored me to tears. I can't get thru Warpaint. Before the Frost and Until the Freeze have both been sleepers for me too. I even picked up Crowology hoping that giving older tunes a fresh coat of paint would liven things up. But nothing has grabbed me.

I was a huge fan for a long time, but the last few releases have not been good in my opinion. They don't rock out at all like they used to. They've become far too mellow for my tastes. I'll always love their older material, but I don't know that I'll be spending any more cash on these guys. Too many boring albums in a row.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Any fans? I have every album they've done and I like every era but I must say The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion, Amorica and Three Snakes And One Charm were their best IMO.

Those are definitely their peak albums. I've been to every tour except the Lions, Warpaint and BTF/UTF tours.

If you get a chance pick up the Lost Crowes or the bootlegs of Tall and The Band albums.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 pm

chewie wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

Those are definitely their peak albums. I've been to every tour except the Lions, Warpaint and BTF/UTF tours.

If you get a chance pick up the Lost Crowes or the bootlegs of Tall and The Band albums.

I got Lost Crowes, I really like that. Feathers is prolly my fave track.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Akeldama wrote:
chewie wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

I got Lost Crowes, I really like that. Feathers is prolly my fave track.

"Feathers" is really cool. I like "Tornado" for its simplicity.

Do you have the Tall bootleg? It has one of their best songs never officially released on a studio album: "Title Song". It's still a live favorite. They still have a TON of songs that they could put out on an official rare stuff disc. Hopefully they'll do that someday.

The Band bootleg has the original version of "Only A Fool" and another song, which for some reason, wasn't included in the Lost Crowes set.

Last edited by chewie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Black Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Black Crowes   The Black Crowes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Black Crowes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next