The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 1:22 pm

I've been seeing this band's name thrown around when the subject of 70's prog-rock comes up. I'm still in virgin territiory when it comes to this genre of music, but I'm really digging what I'm hearing on YouTube. Nice music to mellow-out to.

So where's a good place to start with Camel? I'm thinking Mirage, but is there any album in particular that I should start with? A compilation album perhaps? Or is there any that I should outright avoid like the plague?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Mirage, I Can See Your House From Here, Moonmadness, Snow Goose and the S/T are all good picks to start off with.

I think you might enjoy Moonmadness alot as you're a Floyd fan as well.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I posted this on HOM as well. I'd go in this order to get a handle on their earlier career:

1. Mirage
2. Moonmadness
3. The Snow Goose (all instrumental)
4. Camel (s/t)

The deluxe edition remasters have a plethora of bonus live tracks, REALLY fucking good ones. They were an awesome live band.

If you like those, then jump into the later stuff. I haven't yet explored anything after Rain Dances (though I do like that one)

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 2:27 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Mirage, I Can See Your House From Here, Moonmadness, Snow Goose and the S/T are all good picks to start off with.

I think you might enjoy Moonmadness alot as you're a Floyd fan as well.

I concur, all kick ass albums there.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Did you ever pick up any Camel?

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I would start with Moonmadness and then do Shawn D's list.

Breathless has a couple of REALLY GREAT tunes and then some good ones.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I almost grabbed an LP copy of the s/t album the other day, but they wanted a little too much for it considering the condition it was in.

They also had an original import press of The Snow Goose but that was way outside my price range.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Did you ever pick up any Camel?

I have not. The more songs I listened to on YouTube, the less interested I grew. I started to zone out, so I pretty much gave up on them for now. Maybe I'll go back at some point, but not now.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:42 pm

They are a mellow band, nothing remotely "heavy" about them, so they are better for relaxing and contemplating than rocking out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?   Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone Want To Recommend Me Some Camel?
Page 1 of 1