The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recommend me an artist.

Go down 
+4
Special Guest
Fat Freddy
Akeldama
Metal-On-Metal
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

Recommend me an artist.  Empty
PostSubject: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I feel as though this board needs more discussion. So I thought of this, What band do you really want someone else to know about? Or at least dig a little deeper into?

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 pm

I keep saying Animals As Leaders...
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 pm

I'll be sure to check 'em out sometime. Got any specific album recommendations?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 9:52 pm

I continuously pimp Warrior Soul, particularly the Salutations from the Ghetto Nation album (1992).
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:59 pm

FF, I'm giving Salutations from the Ghetto Nation a listen at the moment.

I've heard a few of these songs before (Punk and Belligerent, Love Destruction, Ass Kickin, ect). It's a really fun album, if I do say so myself. Kind of reminds me of Saigon Kick's The Lizard album.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:15 pm

My recommendation would go to Voyager.

I recently discovered this band thanks to last.fm's recommended artists, which is usually shoddy at best. I checked them out, and was very pleasantly surprised.

The one that impressed me the most was Univers, which is one of the catchiest, well-written metal albums I'd heard in a long while. After a listen or two, the melodies stay with you forever. The musicianship is also top notch; blending a mixture of prog and power. They're definitely not your run of the mill Dream Theater clone. Here are some samples:

Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:

The one that impressed me the most was Univers, which is one of the catchiest, well-written metal albums I'd heard in a long while. After a listen or two, the melodies stay with you forever. The musicianship is also top notch; blending a mixture of prog and power. They're definitely not your run of the mill Dream Theater clone. Here are some samples:

That wasn't bad. I usually stay away from that kind of metal, so I don't think I'll be picking it up any time soon.
Just from the first ten seconds, I could tell it was a helluva lot better than your average Dream Theater clone, so that's something.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
I feel as though this board needs more discussion. So I thought of this, What band do you really want someone else to know about? Or at least dig a little deeper into?

It needs more discussion AND more members. 4 people can't keep a bulletin board going.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 am

That is a hard problem to address. Advertising for a site like this seems a bit difficult, as most of the people I've encountered (both in real life, and on the internet) don't have nearly as specific taste in music as us, or listen to nearly as much.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:

They only have 2 albums and a single so go: S/T, Wave Of Babies then Weightless. Try to listen only and don't wach vids, let your ears "see" what they are doing (especially Tosin). They are dense records so you might have to listen a track or so @ a time.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 am

Akeldama wrote:
Metal-On-Metal wrote:

They only have 2 albums and a single so go: S/T, Wave Of Babies then Weightless. Try to listen only and don't wach vids, let your ears "see" what they are doing (especially Tosin). They are dense records so you might have to listen a track or so @ a time.

It appears I may have to listen to them on YouTube, none of their material's on Spotify. I looked 'em up on RYM, and the reviews seem to favor their debut. Would that one be a good one to seek out first?
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 am

Like I said, go with the debut first, then Wave Of Babies and then Weightless. I prefer Weightless b/c it has more of an organic feel due to AAL being a total band effort but I like that the debut features more melody and mellow stuff.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:52 am

Akeldama wrote:
Like I said, go with the debut first, then Wave Of Babies and then Weightless. I prefer Weightless b/c it has more of an organic feel due to AAL being a total band effort but I like that the debut features more melody and mellow stuff.

I seemed to have not completely read and comprehended your first comment. Laughing

Thanks for the info though, man. I'll make sure to check them out tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 1:06 am

Kewl man, if you have to youtube 'em try to avoid videos or live stuff that shows what they do. I'd really like for you to "see" with your ears and mind first...
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:25 am

Right now, I'd recommend Nomeansno, they're a Canadian hardcore punk/thrash crossover band, but very technical and also kind of weird. I heard someone say that they sounded like a cross between the Minutemen and Primus, and for me that's AWESOME.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
That is a hard problem to address. Advertising for a site like this seems a bit difficult, as most of the people I've encountered (both in real life, and on the internet) don't have nearly as specific taste in music as us, or listen to nearly as much.

I haven't been here much of late. This board leans towards more progressive music and jazz discussions, 2 genres I'm too much of a novice to contribute. I check out the recommendations. I can appreciate some but most of it is too far out there for me. I ain't ready for that.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Another terrific album for this thread:

Slint's Spiderland

Recommend me an artist.  56Yf4

Arguably one of the first (and finest) post-rock albums. Sometimes bordering on noise rock, and progressive rock, it's a very cool listen. The lyrics, if I recall correctly, are all spoken word which creates a really interesting vibe.

It's on Spotify if anyone wants to give a shot.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 10:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnrG904talA

Bauhaus. Great band from that forgotten genre of "death rock". I love how it's punky but dark & melodic at the same time.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:08 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Bauhaus. Great band from that forgotten genre of "death rock". I love how it's punky but dark & melodic at the same time.

They're the ones that broke into a couple of bands............. One that did "No new tales to tell" song(I like that one), correct?

Ima gonna chek deez guyz out! hahaha!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 12:14 pm

WOW!!! The singer has that David Bowie singing style down!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

S.D. wrote:
Metal-On-Metal wrote:

It needs more discussion AND more members. 4 people can't keep a bulletin board going.

Yeah it'd be nice if we could figure out a way to promote the board to grab more members. Even with our small numbers, I still dig coming here the most but it'd be nice to have a broader spectrum of discussion.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 pm

DeathCult wrote:

I dig Bauhaus, "Bela Lugosi's Dead" has always been a fave of mine.

White on white translucent black capes Back on the back
Bela Lugosi's dead The bats have left the bell tower The victims have been bled Red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's dead Bela Lugosi's dead Undead undead undead Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb Strewn with time's dead flowers Bereft in deathly bloom Alone in a darkened room The count
Bela Lugosi's dead Bela Lugosi's dead Bela Lugosi's dead Undead undead undead Undead undead undead Undead
Oh Bela Bela's undead Oh Bela Bela's undead
Bela's undead Oh Bela Bela's undead Oh Bela

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm

Recommend me an artist.  75bae03ae7a0bcba583ef110.L._AA300_

If you dig early Yes and I know you do...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Recommend me an artist.  614LMt-GMrL._SL500_AA300_

1. For The Sake of The Song 5:22
2. Columbine 2:34
3. Waiting Around To Die 2:45
4. Don't Take It To Bad 2:54
5. Colorado Girl 3:18
6. Lungs 2:29
7. I'll Be Here In the Morning 3:00
8. Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel 5:22
9. Quicksilver Daydreams of Maria 4:45
10. None But the Rain 2:23

Third album from the great TVZ and is the next logical step for ya, Met. It's my personal fave.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Recommend me an artist.  75bae03ae7a0bcba583ef110.L._AA300_

If you dig early Yes and I know you do...

Oh god, Starcastle.
I stumbled upon an original pressing of that album at a yard sale, and bought it just for the cheesy cover. The music is just as gloriously cheesy, where every verse is another excuse for a synthesizer solo. It sounds more like a satire of prog than an actual album, and for that I fucking love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me an artist.    Recommend me an artist.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend me an artist.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next