The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recommended Jam of the day

Go down 
+5
Metal-On-Metal
chewie
gershom
Akeldama
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Recommended Jam of the day Empty
PostSubject: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 11:31 pm

The only request here is to listen to the track if you can and comment on the song.

"Fluid Tap" by Steven Wilson (Grace For Drowning bonus track)

Last edited by S.D. on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:08 am

Nice, I like this thread but I won't be able to jam this just yet.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 10:28 am

Never heard of this dude, but the jam is pretty chill and interesting, it's got a good beat and he's got a soothing voice, this is something to kick back and relax to.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 11:57 am

gershom wrote:
Never heard of this dude, but the jam is pretty chill and interesting, it's got a good beat and he's got a soothing voice, this is something to kick back and relax to.

He's the singer/guitarist and primary songwriter of the band Porcupine Tree.

I love the drums in this track, so propulsive.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Propulsive is the best way to desribe the drums. This album shows his growth and he does everything in good taste. Mind if I post one? I was jamming a song on my way to my Mum's that I thought would be perfect.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:26 pm

go for it.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Ok, I'll give it a few, that bonus track is superb. I gotta dl that whole bonus disc.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 pm

It's like a mellower Slave Called Shiver.... I likey!

I gotta get this album.............
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Yeah chewie, you gots to bro.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 3:23 pm

chewie wrote:
It's like a mellower Slave Called Shiver.... I likey!

I gotta get this album.............

This song is one of the bonus tracks on either the 3-Disc version or the blu-ray version.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:56 pm

John Wesley - The other guitarist and backing vocalist for Porcupine Tree, from his EP "The Lilypad Suite". I really like his voice.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 pm

I've always been kinda "meh" about Porcupine Tree, and that song didn't help change my opinion. What Porcupine Tree would you recommend, though? I know Steven Wilson had a lot to do with the new Opeth record, do they sound anything like that? Cuz, that I would like.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 9:20 pm

This is the song that got me started on Porcupine Tree in the first place. They have about 3 distinct periods and they've changed stylistically a great deal during each one.

This song is near the beginning of their "third stage", you'll definitely hear the Floyd influence...then stick around for the mid section and you'll hear some of the Metal influence.

Best album to start with would probably be either In Absentia or Deadwing.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 7:47 am

I don't know, that John Wesley track is good but nothing I would jam often, I think I like the Steven Wilson better, that is something I would jam.

That Porcupine Tree track is pretty bad ass, I'm gonna have to check these dudes out a little more. This is something worth jamming.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 11:38 am

Sorry about the John Wesley track, I also like melodic music which is why I selected that one. He's not an "actual" member of Porcupine Tree, he essentially is an extra member used primarily for live shows, but he's an excellent backing vocalist and guitarist.

Porcupine Tree has so many different elements to their sound that a single album or track isn't going to give you the full effect.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 12:27 pm

I like that Wesley track, I am a sucker for a good melody.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 pm

John Wesley opened for Marillion when they played The Fillmore during their Marbles Tour. He performed a REALLY nice acoustic set with some funny stories in between(one was about talking to his wife while watching Katrina float around his residence). I think I got a JW sampler from that show(I can't remember if it was free or just a couple of bucks).

Apparantly he has worked with Mike Tramp(White Lion) and Fish(ex-Marillion) as well.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 3:58 pm

That Porcupine Tree song is pretty awesome. Might have to look into these guys more.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
That Porcupine Tree song is pretty awesome. Might have to look into these guys more.

There's also The Beach Boys/CSN harmonies influenced era, Stupid Dream & Lightbulb Sun(my favorite):

Which is when I discovered them.

Here is the Official video for this song

Sorry, it was too witty to pass up!

I don't mean to hijack this at all, but here is THE song from Stupid Dream:

I heard this tune and I was an instant fan!
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Those were some pretty awesome Porcupine Tree Jams there Chewbacca thanks for sharing that.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:19 pm

NUCLEUS - british jazz rock/fusion band featuring Ian Carr on trumpet. This track is titled "Song For The Bearded Lady" (the title on youtube is misspelled as "breaded").

Awesome jam!

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 7:43 am

That Nucleus is some pretty damn good jamming man, I even really liked the whole horn section they got going for them, another band I'm going to have to check out some more for sure. Nice post there S.D. really enjoyed that one.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 1:02 am

Any takers?
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 1:06 am

It's not really my cup of tea; but it would probably be something good to just sit back and relax to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Jam of the day   Recommended Jam of the day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommended Jam of the day
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Workshop :: Thick As A Brick :: Dramatic Themes-
Jump to: