The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums

Go down 
+2
Akeldama
S.D.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums Empty
PostSubject: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 4:29 pm

This list is from Rock Hard Magazine (Germany) and it's about as diverse as I expected.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny (1976)
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark (1974)
Scott Walker - Scott 3 (1969)
Nick Drake - Bryter Later (1970)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)
Rainbow - Rising (1976)
Bathory - The Return (1985)
Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (1969)
Whitesnake - Whitesnake (1987)
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (1999)
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973)
Abba - Arrival (1976)

Quite an eclectic list!

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Eclectic indeed! I really like that Nick Drake album.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 am

Nice list, and quite an eclectic one. With one glaring exception though. Fucking abba. Inspiring? Pfffttttttttttt
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:12 am

DeathCult wrote:
Nice list, and quite an eclectic one. With one glaring exception though. Fucking abba. Inspiring? Pfffttttttttttt

That's the same damn thing that I was thinking. If the next Opeth album is in the style of Abba, I'll be majorly pissed off.
Razz
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

That's the same damn thing that I was thinking. If the next Opeth album is in the style of Abba, I'll be majorly pissed off.
Razz

I see alot of people mentioning them in "great" or "overlooked" albums threads all the time now. I could see the Bee Gee's, but abba is horrible. Christ, what's next Jesus Jones?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 1:33 am

Abba was from Stockholm, yes? I can see why they would have been an influence, especially based on his age. Mikael probably grew up hearing them on the radio, even if you hated their music the vocal harmonies are interesting.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 pm

Mikael Ã…kerfeldt and Steven Wilson will release an album called 'Storm Corrosion' in 4/12. By the way Wilson desribes it it should be pretty interesting and not just an Opeth/Tree mash-up.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 2:35 am

I fucking love Nick Drake, but I wouldn't call him inspiring. I think he's more closely associated with depression. The rest I can get behind though.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 3:59 am

Nick Drake is hugely influential on the singer/songwriter scene, he wasn't appreciated during his lifetime but his stature has grown by leaps and bounds since his untimely death.

His guitar style is amazing, he played primarily in non-standard tunings some of which he made up himself. I've read this was one problem when he would perform live because he'd have to re-tune his guitar for every song he played.

Of course his depression does come through in the lyrics, but those melodies are timeless and he had an amazing voice.

Five Leaves Left would be on my desert island picks for "perfect albums".

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Whitesnake? That album? Inspiring? Mikael just slipped down a notch in my book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums   Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mikael Akerfeldt's list of "very inspiring" albums
Page 1 of 1