The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List

Go down 
+2
theJOKERiv
Akeldama
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List Empty
PostSubject: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 8:04 am

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/hendrix_named_best_guitarist_ever.html

I will agree with the #1 spot but the rest are bollocks, I can see why certain ones are on there but even then they are placed way too high IMO.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 11:12 am

Akeldama wrote:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/hendrix_named_best_guitarist_ever.html

I will agree with the #1 spot but the rest are bollocks, I can see why certain ones are on there but even then they are placed way too high IMO.

It's Rolling Stone and par for the course for that lame rag. These are the same music elitist bastards that vote for the rock and roll hall of shame.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 1:15 pm

I can understand why the people on the list are there, I just don't personally agree with the rankings.

That's exactly the type of list I expect from Rolling Stone.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 4:30 pm

I agree with both of you 100%, but Townshend for instance never struck me as a top 10 guitarist. It seems to me that just b/c he could trash a guitar onstage and do that silly windmill is what makes him a legend...
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 10:33 am

Akeldama wrote:
I agree with both of you 100%, but Townshend for instance never struck me as a top 10 guitarist. It seems to me that just b/c he could trash a guitar onstage and do that silly windmill is what makes him a legend...

Ha, yeah no shit, I'm surprised Carlos Santana is not on the list, but hell man, what do you expect from R.S. I remember when the listed the top 100 guitarists of all time, yet again Hendrix was #1 and ok that's cool, but they had shit like Kurt Cobain in the 17th spot and E.Van Halen in like 70 something spot? and there were guys left off this list that made me think what the hell is wrong with these people? Everyone could make a list and no two would be the same, this is made by a average of an elite few, hell we could do that and probably come up with something totally diferent.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 10:37 am

Akeldama wrote:

I don't think the fact he smashes his instrument and does windmills is what makes him a legend, but his songwriting
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Townsend is a monster. As Manny mentioned, his songwriting has more to do with it than anything, but his guitar playing shouldn't be underrated.

This list seems geared more toward "influential" than technical ability, a happy medium ground between the two would more likely give an accurate portrait.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 6:39 pm

I understand your point manny but I never saw what others saw in him. Especially juxtaposed with his comtemporaries. I see his influebce but even then I've personally never heard anybody comment on his playing aside from the smashing guitars and windmill.

I'll listen to The Who now during this break and see what I think.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:57 am

Akeldama wrote:
I understand your point manny but I never saw what others saw in him. Especially juxtaposed with his comtemporaries. I see his influebce but even then I've personally never heard anybody comment on his playing aside from the smashing guitars and windmill.

Live At Leeds!

Oh, You already listened to it I see. Smile
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 1:47 am

chewie wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

Live At Leeds!

Oh, You already listened to it I see. Smile

Yeah chewie and since I have 18 albums by them I should give 'em more of a listen.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 3:12 am

Who's Next is practically a Townsend album. Everything from the synth programming to the guitar work and co-lead vocals, Pete crafted a masterpiece.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List   Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarist Of All Time List
Page 1 of 1