The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recomend me some jazz, Detuned

Go down 
+3
S.D.
DeathCult
Stender
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Much obliged.

I had already bookmarked that WM Incredible Jazz Guitar as a possibilty on Amazon. I have Midnight Blue by Burrell already, but thanks for the other suggestions. Never heard of Grant Green, but I like what I'm hearing.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Green/Burrell & Montgomery are the "Big 3" of jazz guitar, I can also recommend alot of other great players just let me know....
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 5:22 pm

I keep forgetting to look for Grant Green!!!!

......and I've seen that Half Note album listed under Wynton Kelly.

Barney Kessel is pretty cool, too!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:47 pm

I went with Wes Montgomery's Incredible Jazz Guitar for now. Should have it in a few days. I bookmarked a few others on Amazon for future reference. Grant Green seems promising.

I needed to clear my head the last few days and some instrumental jazz guitar seemed to do the trick. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 6:11 pm

All you jazz afficianados, is their anyone new on the scene, like say the last 10 years or so, that have done anything interesting in the jazz field?

Everyone you guys seem to mention are mostly from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Did everything good just stop there?

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 am

I guess that there are the Marsalis Brothers, but I don't listen to them...........
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Alphonse Mouzon has a few good Smooth Jazz albums in the '80s.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
All you jazz afficianados, is their anyone new on the scene, like say the last 10 years or so, that have done anything interesting in the jazz field?

Everyone you guys seem to mention are mostly from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. Did everything good just stop there?

Just curious.

The record labels kind of killed everything off. Fusion got watered down to "smooth jazz" by the time the late 70s rolled around. Labels like Pablo in the late 70s focused on "dinner jazz", pleasant but not all that exciting recordings by mostly swing-era artists. The only artists that were still making money were guys recording instrumental pop records that were about as far from real jazz as you could get.

Then in the early 80s the labels snapped up the Marsalis brothers and the whole retro "Young Lions" phase started, which was essentially a movement that pretended that no advances were made in jazz post-1958. Nothing experimental, nothing "outside", just straight-up hard bop and mainstream jazz. This movement brought about 20 years of artists whose music only works as background noise to be played in coffee shops and restaurants.

The good stuff went underground...FAR underground...and most of the stuff that is still somewhat real isn't very easy to get into. The younger cats that are doing interesting stuff are primarily playing really experimental, outside stuff and most of them don't want to be called "jazz". I tried for several years to get into newer artists but nothing I heard was as good as the 1955 to 1970 era.

The best current albums are still be recorded by players that have been around since that era. Older cats that can still bring it. People like Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Alphonse Mouzon, etc.

Guitarist Bobby Broom is quite good, he's been around since the 80s and I like most of his recent records...but I would still grab Kenny Burrell from the rack before reaching for one his albums.

There is absolutely no money to be made playing or recording jazz today, so there aren't that many players coming out.

But here's the thing...jazz players during that classic era sometimes released as many as 5 albums a year, there are literally tens of thousands of great jazz records recorded between 1955 and 1970, so you'll never run out of stuff to investigate.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

I really like more modern stuff like Medeski, Martin and Wood and New Cool Collective but I haven't ventured much past that.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Would you recommend Fats Navarro, Shawn?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Fats is good, he recorded so little material you can collect everything easily.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:39 pm

For some reason I just now saw this album:
Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 JimmySmith-ImMovinOn
Gonna have to get it. Also, all of a sudden Kenny Burrell is popular around Sacramento. His album slots are empty at the record stores that I frequent.....
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Just curious.

There's a contemporary lady that I'm quite fond of named Esperanza Spalding, who plays the bass:

these days the world of jazz is so far reaching it can include all different sorts of styles of music, as opposed to the all the classic stuff where you more or less knew what you were going to get. So it's a lot harder to really find, say, a hard bop group around today than it is to find a whole mess of weird jazz-fusion jam bands.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 pm

R.I.P. Jack Bruce.

Check out his jazz chops...

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 5:41 pm

What are your thoughts on organist Jimmy Smith? I saw this box set today for under $10...

Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 51nPGpuoL1L._SY355_

It's 8 albums worth of material over 4 discs. For someone like myself that's just looking for a taste, this seems like a pretty good value and the albums it features seem worthy.

Thoughts?

P.S. I recently picked up his Christmas Cookin' album, which got me interested in his other works.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
What are your thoughts on organist Jimmy Smith? I saw this box set today for under $10...

Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 51nPGpuoL1L._SY355_

It's 8 albums worth of material over 4 discs. For someone like myself that's just looking for a taste, this seems like a pretty good value and the albums it features seem worthy.

Thoughts?

P.S. I recently picked up his Christmas Cookin' album, which got me interested in his other works.

He has some good stuff! S.D. made me a fan after he recommended Prayer Meetin'. I also recommend the live album Root Down. I have all but three of those on LP. Get it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recomend me some jazz, Detuned   Recomend me some jazz, Detuned - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recomend me some jazz, Detuned
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2