The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Ian Gillan Band

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The Ian Gillan Band Empty
PostSubject: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Any fans? I'm barely getting into them, I've listened to the 'Clear Air Turbulence' album and I like it. I can't say much more until I delve into them more. I know they released 3 studio efforts.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 am

I used to have Child In Time, which for all intents was a goos album, but I never liked the reworking of the song itself. Outside of that, I didn't really get into Gillan solo until he went by just Gillan.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 am

Same thing like DC described I have 'Child In Time' on vinyl and 'Live at Budokan' on tape and 'Clear Air Turbulence' on CD.

The Ian Gillan Band was not bad, but at times Gillan did not sound too comfortable with the material and he felt more at home with his second band solo band Gillan which I was a kick ass band
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

manny wrote:
Same thing like DC described I have 'Child In Time' on vinyl and 'Live at Budokan' on tape and 'Clear Air Turbulence' on CD.

The Ian Gillan Band was not bad, but at times Gillan did not sound too comfortable with the material and he felt more at home with his second band solo band Gillan which I was a kick ass band

Well put manny! I think the main problem with the IGB was he was trying too hard to distance himself from Purple by doing something totally different. Kinda like Paul Di'Anno did with his first solo album, and neither one of them sound happy with the results for the most part. At least on Child In Time he sounds some into it though, it's one of the better funky records I've heard.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:46 pm

I've actually never owned any of these albums (or by his later band either). I've heard some cuts here and there but never felt the urge to run out and get any.

Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:07 am

DeathCult wrote:
manny wrote:

Well put manny! I think the main problem with the IGB was he was trying too hard to distance himself from Purple by doing something totally different. Kinda like Paul Di'Anno did with his first solo album, and neither one of them sound happy with the results for the most part. At least on Child In Time he sounds some into it though, it's one of the better funky records I've heard.

It is so so different from Deep Purple, and it is a good comparsion with Paul D'ianno, when D'ianno did his first solo project away from Maiden, it went to such a pop direction that it was hard to believe that this guy was once in one of the premier metal bands in history, it was not bad but D'ianno did not sound comfortable with that pop oriented material. What that material did prove is Di'anno is much more verstile vocalist then he is given credit for.

Gillan was a great band, 'Unchain your Brain' 'Mr Universe' are songs I think you would like detuned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ian Gillan Band   The Ian Gillan Band I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ian Gillan Band
Page 1 of 1