The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
S.D.
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about Empty
PostSubject: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 1:34 am

SOLACE are a completely kick ass metal band from New Jersey who have never gotten the record label attention needed to really break out nationwide. Unfortunate, because all of their releases have been high quality.

Hard to describe really, there are elements of Stoner, straight ahead metal, some punk elements here and there and a warped sense of humor. Whatever you call it, they FUCKING ROCK!

Their album Further is one of my favorites of the past decade...
SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about Further

(originally released in 2000), it's an absolute monster record that stayed in my car for a LONG time...I had to hear it a few times a week during my commute. This album impressed me the first time I heard it and it sounds even better now. These guys have a great dual guitar tandem, a fantastic vocalist and a punishing rhythm section...Sonic Heaven man. Plus their mean enough to rip your face off when they feel like it. SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about 68321

They've released a variety of vinyl-only singles which are impossible to find, but their full length albums are easy to track down.

Further - 2000
13 - 2003 (guest appearance by Wino)
The Black Black - 2005
A.D. (in progress)

There's also a split EP with Solarized called Jersey Devils, not sure how hard that is to find.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 am

I remember these guys (vaguely). I think they may have opened a show I was at years ago but I'm not 100 percent sure. I went to a lot of shows back then and drank a lot of malt liquor so the memories are somewhat hazy. Haha.

If I'm not mistaken, a couple of the guys in this band were previously in Godspeed, who put out a record or two in the early 90s and also backed Bruce Dickinson on his cover of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" on the first NATIVITY IN BLACK tribute album.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, a couple of the guys in this band were previously in Godspeed, who put out a record or two in the early 90s and also backed Bruce Dickinson on his cover of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" on the first NATIVITY IN BLACK tribute album.

Correct. Though Solace is WAY better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Solace sound interesting, going by your description, De. I'll have to check them out.

Is Godspeed any good? I only know them from that one track they did with Bruce, but I've heard their name thrown about when stoner bands are talked about. I see their only album is available on Amazon used for .01, which doesn't give me great expectations. How good can it be for a penny?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Solace sound interesting, going by your description, De. I'll have to check them out.

Is Godspeed any good? I only know them from that one track they did with Bruce, but I've heard their name thrown about when stoner bands are talked about. I see their only album is available on Amazon used for .01, which doesn't give me great expectations. How good can it be for a penny?

I've never heard the album but the reviews were pretty mixed, I know that Southard (the lead guitarist) basically ignores his time in that band.

But once again...SOLACE completely kicks ass. Not just stoner fans will like it, because it's very in-your-face stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 pm

I used to see Godspeed's album in used bins everywhere I went MG, which I always thought was rather funny since they're a Jersey band... it's usually not a good sign when "fans" in your own backyard suddenly start dumping your CD in droves. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SAHB

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:05 pm

I have their album "13" and I remember it being good but I haven't listened to it for awhile. I get it confused with the band called "13" for some reason, who are also pretty good.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Further kicks some serious ass, that's all I've heard so far, but Im loving all these newer stoner and doom bands HEADHUNTER!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 am

New album called A.D. on the way courtesy of Small Stone Records. CAN'T WAIT!

SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about SS-093
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 3:11 pm

This just shot to the top my of Want List...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 10:25 pm

June 10th is the release date for the CD. The .mp3 version is already available for sale on iTunes.
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Nice....I'm gonna give Further a try...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 9:27 pm

The S wrote:

Further is my favorite! cheers
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 6:39 pm

Here is a sample from the new album...it KILLS! Check out the awesome guitar interplay on this tune.

click here-> Six Year Trainwreck
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:42 am

Still gotta get me some of this. *SIGH* So many bands...
Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 pm

The S wrote:

OK...I listened to Further & 13 a few times each...it's not bad at all...but failed to trip my trigger...

Oh well...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 pm

it's cool. It actually took me a long time to warm up to "13", but it finally hit me.

Their new album is hit or miss as well, about half of it is killer, the other half a little too schizophrenic for their own good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about   SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SOLACE - another great band NOBODY knows about
Page 1 of 1