The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 5's - a game

Go down 
+8
SpectreFate
Shawn
theJOKERiv
DeathCult
chewie
Akeldama
gershom
S.D.
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
gershom

gershom

Top 5's - a game - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:12 pm

That's a tough list to make.

1.Master of Reality
2.Dehumanizer
3.Technical Ecstasy
4.Heaven and Hell
5.Mob Rules

But I think Paranoid and Live Evil should be on this list too.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:19 pm

gershom wrote:
That's a tough list to make.

1.Master of Reality
2.Dehumanizer
3.Technical Ecstasy
4.Heaven and Hell
5.Mob Rules

But I think Paranoid and Live Evil should be on this list too.

I had Technical Ecstasy as my 5th choice but changed it, the 5th one was tough to choose.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:23 pm

I could have filled up all five slots with Ozzy records, it was hard getting any of the later stuff onto the list.

Born Again is a real favorite of mine as well, but I almost consider that a different band, it was really a supergroup type affair. Especially since they never did another album with that lineup.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
I could have filled up all five slots with Ozzy records, it was hard getting any of the later stuff onto the list.

Born Again is a real favorite of mine as well, but I almost consider that a different band, it was really a supergroup type affair. Especially since they never did another album with that lineup.

I coulda filled up all 5 with Dio material!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 3:51 pm

DeathCult wrote:
chewie wrote:
1. Live Evil
2. Born Again
3. Live At Last
4. Dehumanizer
5. Tyr

A couple interesting choices there chewie, I've never seen Live At Last listed as a favorite before.

I found that on LP(Live At Last) in the early 80s and that was my first exposure to Ozzy-era Sabbath just as Live Evil(wore out that cassette) was my first exposure to Sabbath in general. Born Again was the second Sabbath album I bought(and I bought it when it came out).

I thought I still had this lp(I just looked)...... bummer......... I must have sold it during one of the great vinyl purges(that I'll never do again).

TYR was one that clicked with me and always has from when I first heard it(I wore out that cassette copy, as well).

I've always liked Dio era Sabbath the best and only since the early 2000's have I gotten into the Ozzy era(which in itself is funny since I own Diary thru Ultimate Sin). If I remeber correctly, I bought Live Evil and Speak Of the Devil around the same time...... might've even been the same day.

Thanks Shawn, I'll check those out.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm

Tough, tough list!!!! But, I will try:

1) Black Sabbath
2) Paranoid
3) Vol 4
4) Heaven & Hell
5) The Devil You Know
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 4:39 pm

I got into Sabbath kind of late too, around 1982. I think I had Speak Of The Devil first, when my Mother heard it she told me; "that's okay, but it's not as good as the original versions of those songs."

Soon after I went used LP shopping and found all of the Ozzy Sabbath albums for .25 cents a piece (I miss the early 80's for that). Once I heard the debut album and Paranoid, I never played Speak Of The Devil again.

I bought Live Evil when it came out, then backtracked and got H&H and Mob Rules afterward.

I also got Born Again soon after release through the old Columbia House record club. Since then I've bought all the Sabbath albums pretty much right at the time of release.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:12 pm

chewie wrote:
1. Live Evil
2. Born Again
3. Live At Last
4. Dehumanizer
5. Tyr

Tyr is my Tony Martin fave. Good album.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:28 pm

I'd still have to go with Eternal Idol for the Martin albums. There is some good material on TYR but it's too short and has too much filler on it. If you combined the good songs from Headless Cross and TYR together, that would be a really good album.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 7:20 pm

next band:

Artist #4 - RUSH

1. Moving Pictures
2. A Farewell To Kings
3. Rush - s/t
4. 2112
5. Permanent Waves

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 11:01 pm

1. Caress Of Steel
2. Fly By Night
3. A Farewell To Kings
4. 2112
5. Snakes And Arrows

Once again, the last 3 were tough!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Interesting choice for #1, few people appreciate that album.

I really wanted to get "Signals" into my top 5, but the debut Rush album was so important to my musical development (I learned that entire album on guitar in my formative years) that it had to make the top 5.

I also wanted to get a newer album in there, but again those 5 wouldn't let me do it.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 1:54 am

That's Funny! I had a feeling that this would be the next band. This one is REALLY hard:

1. Moving Pictures
2. Signals
3. Power Windows
4. Hemispheres
5. 2112

It's nice to see Caress of Steel get some love! "No One On The Bridge" is one of my favorite Rush songs. I had to leave out All The World's A Stage, that thing is as raw and heavy as any Sabbath album!

Moving Pictures and Signals were the first two Rush Lps I bought when Signals came out that year.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 2:05 am

Hell, there are very few Rush albums I don't like, so there were many candidates. I think Rush is a much better concert band now than they were in the 70's. Maturity has helped these guys in the live setting. The "Rush In Rio" recording would definitely make my top "10".

I've gone into great detail before, so I won't bore anyone with more reviews. It's just nice to know that a band that's been around as long as these guys have can still "bring it" in a live setting and haven't become a parody of themselves.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 am

Yeah, I wanted so bad to put the S/T or Power Windows or quite a few others on there but...and yes, Caress Of Steel is my all-time fave. Bastille Day is a great album opener and on the way to the store just a while ago my wife got a kick outta "Bald".

I learned "Working Man" by ear so that's badd ass you learned that whole album SD.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

I learned the whole album by ear, because I never learned how to do it any other way! When I was learning this record I was also working on learning Led Zeppelin II, lots of similarities between those two.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Nice, what do you learn nowadays?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I don't try to learn anything, I just improvise to recordings, I developed a style I'm comfortable with and don't feel the need to learn recordings note for note any longer.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm the same way, I encorporate a lot of styles into my playing but as far as my own music that I'm working on it tends to be more Doom meets Thrash meets just plain heavy. I learned a long time ago that you don't need tons of distortion to sound heavy. Anyway, back to the tunes!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I'd have to say that the one Rush album that gets the least amount of plays is "Roll The Bones". I don't know why that one doesn't connect or anything post Counterparts(which I do like)............. I think I'm gonna listen to "Roll The Bones" today.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Me too, I rarely listen to Hold Your Fire, Presto or Roll The Bones.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Roll The Bones is the best of those three. I think the song "Bravado" is one of their best.

Okay enema bandit, pick the next band...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 pm

With pleasure,

Artist #5: Pink Floyd

1. Meddle
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Obscured By Clouds
4. More
5. Animals

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Floyd is hard.

1. Meddle
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals
4. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
5. Dark Side Of The Moon

As much as I love their other albums, those 5 have to all be in the top 5 for me.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Good list man, "Moon" is damn good, I'm just a little tired of it. "Piper" has grown on me a lot, I used to detest that album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5's - a game   Top 5's - a game - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5's - a game
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next