The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
DeathCult
S.D.
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 1:49 am

Steven Wilson posts over at the Steve Hoffman forum (mastering engineer), it's cool hearing his insights into how he did the various remixes and remasters for the King Crimson, Caravan and Jethro Tull albums.

How many artists as busy as he is would take the time to post thoughts and answer questions on a message board?

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 11:54 pm

Interesting comments from Steven Wilson about how he's looking to drop the "metal" from his sound after relying on it too heavily for too long. This is also the reason Porcupine Tree hasn't reconvened yet, because he's not sure what direction to take their music in now.

"The other part of what you’re talking about is the move away from metal. After Fear of a Blank Planet, the metal thing for me was played out. The Incident began to move a little bit away from metal. Storm Corrosion completely rejects the notion of metal and even rock. Grace for Drowning also rejected the whole metal thing which I had been so sated with from about 2002 to 2007. There is a search for me now, creatively, to find ways to be upbeat and in-your-face without having to rely on metal and “Luminol” was the first attempt at that."

Here's the track "Luminol" mentioned in the last sentence, this will be on Steven's upcoming 3rd solo album next year. The sound of Luminol is closer to heavy 70s fusion and progressive rock.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm

That is an AWESOME song!!!!!!!

Who is his band on this dvd? I recognize Nick and Marco but not the rest.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Marco Minnemann (drums), Nick Beggs (bass), Theo Travis (flute and sax), Adam Holzman (keys) and Niko Tsonev (guitars)
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 pm

That track kicks ass! I like the new direction he appears to be taking.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:55 pm

In all honesty, I was getting bored of PTs metal direction myself........... Stupid Dream is my favorite album by PTree anyway.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm

There wasn't much on The Incident, especially the 4 stand-alone tracks on the 2nd disc which were more pop-oriented.

I don't listen to metal that often myself any longer, with both of my favorite current musicians (Steven and Mikael Akerfeldt) moving away from metal at the same time I feel like I'm in-tune with what they are doing.

I'm much more interested in melodies, textures and improvisation than I am heavy riffs and ripping guitar solos these days.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 am

Finally used my points and bought the new one, with the dvd, for about 8 bucks!

Sounds killer in surround!!!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 3:15 am

I've come to the conclusion that Steven Wilson is my favorite artist of the past 20 years, nobody else comes close...

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:40 am

I pre-ordered the Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape re-release.........
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Steven Wilson and his band will be heading back into the studio this week to begin work on solo album #4. The lineup is the same as The Raven That Refused To Sing, the album will be released early in 2015.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 1:34 am

Huzzah! I was deeply moved by Raven, a beautiful and complex collection. I'll look forward to what he does with this.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 2:19 am

corplhicks wrote:
Huzzah! I was deeply moved by Raven, a beautiful and complex collection. I'll look forward to what he does with this.

Have you heard Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning?

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 10:10 am

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Not yet, no; I've been wanting to invest some time into those. Similar?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 11:40 am

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

They each have their own flavor and both are excellent.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:13 pm

I'm stoked to hear he's in the studio w/"Raven's" lineup. I have always dug Guthrie. In the future I hope he does some stuff w/Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes but individually.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/revolution_harmonys_charity_single_hello_featuring_tom_morello_and_steven_wilson_released.html
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 9:52 pm

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

They each have their own flavor and both are excellent.  

Listened to those youtube clips you sent me on Facebook today. Stunning stuff, has a familiarity about it, yet unpredictable at the same time.

It's also been so refreshing to hear expertly-mixed music that sounds so fucking huge, warm, and wonderful after wading through all these nasty-sounding metal albums.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 12:22 am

Believe me, the "sound" of Porcupine Tree was one of the first things that hooked me. Not just the players, but the quality of the recordings and mix. Steven has some of the best ears in the music business right now.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 11:55 am

For the last few weeks I've been watching vids of Wilson and his band in the studio and him talking about the concept of the album and it sounds like lyrically it could be him most ambitious yet.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm real excited to hear the new album, I've actually been avoiding listening to clips because I kind of want to hear the whole thing together for the first time.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 11:38 am

S.D. wrote:
I'm real excited to hear the new album, I've actually been avoiding listening to clips because I kind of want to hear the whole thing together for the first time.  

I wish I had done that but being the fan I am of Govan I was champing at the bit and I've become an even bigger fan of Wilson. The ethereal stuff I've heard is a different kind of ethereal but still distinctly Wilson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius   Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Porcupine Tree aka Steven Wilson Super Genius
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2