The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers Empty
PostSubject: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks to copyright law being different in Spain than any other country there is an almost endless supply of grey-market CD releases of classic jazz albums. These things are thrown together in about 30 minutes on a computer and released, with obviously very little quality control.

Here are a few favorites, in almost every case it's the wrong musician on the cover.

The artist on the cover is Jimmy Smith, not Thelonious, plus that is a Hammond organ, not a piano.
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 0001756047_500

Now, HERE is Thelonious! Unfortunately, it's for a Johnny Richards CD....
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 0001763142_500

This is not Charlie Parker, this is Forrest Whitaker playing Charlie Parker in the film Bird (1985).
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 51aIPkYv0AL._SX600_

A couple problems here, first off...not Howard McGhee...second..that's a baritone sax, not a trumpet.
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 51PqqN6K%2BnL._SS500_

The very best of...why is there a picture of tenor saxophonist Ike Quebec instead of piano-player Tadd Dameron?
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers B00BQBMXCK.01-AE2QNCE40KCLM._SX500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V374009034_

Closer this time, at least it's an alto sax, but again...not Charlie Parker...this is Johnny Hodges.
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers MI0002414119.jpg?partner=allrovi

I bought a copy of this CD and later found out the artist pictured on the cover is Von Freeman, NOT Willis Jackson. This was an American produced CD released by famous Atlantic producer Joel Dorn...who SHOULD know better.
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 1226907493_d019331162p

More movie confusion. This is not Benny Goodman, it is Steven Allen who played him in The Benny Goodman Story.
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 51bhH8Wcy2L._SX300_

Yep, at least they got a picture of a vibes player...though it's Bobby Hutcherson, not Milt Jackson.
Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers 51mpwCBM1GL._SL500_AA280_

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Wow... Now I know better than to buy Jazz from Italy.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 11:38 pm

That Goodman and Parker are so obvious!

This is hilarious. So how could they screw these up? Rushed jobs?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:31 am

Yes, all rush jobs and artwork assigned to people who wouldn't know a jazz musician from a hole in the ground. You can find a ton of these grey market titles on Spotify as well.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

S.D. wrote:
Yes, all rush jobs and artwork assigned to people who wouldn't know a jazz musician from a hole in the ground.  You can find a ton of these grey market titles on Spotify as well.  

Yeah Spotify seems to be flooded with them. Sucks having to sort through all of them when browsing an artist's discog.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:49 am

Spain is the only country who only recognizes copyright for 50 years (as opposed to Life + 50 years). So these classic jazz releases are perfectly legal in Spain, but become "grey-market" once they are exported into other countries with different copyright rules.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 2:29 pm

I know nothin' about jazz or the musicians who play it, so I would never have noticed the discrepancies on those covers (except maybe the Forest Whitaker one)... but still, that's funny as hell.
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 6:19 pm

To be fair, you could give any dorky white boy a clarinet and it would look like Benny Goodman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers   Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laughably bad public domain Jazz album covers
Page 1 of 1