The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....

Go down 
+5
Metal-On-Metal
chewie
Akeldama
DeathCult
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
corplhicks

corplhicks

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 11:09 am

I may go through all of these tonight. Bring this thread the fico back! :-D
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 11:25 am

I'll get right on that. LOL. Although it might have to be S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the WEEK.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 11:43 am

S.D. wrote:
I'll get right on that.  LOL.  Although it might have to be S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the WEEK.   Very Happy 

Week would work better, gives one more time to digest. Smile

(fico was supposed to be fuck btw. Stupid puritan mobile autocorrect)
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Rahsaan Roland Kirk covering Bill Withers' "Aint No Sunshine". You can hear Kirk talking the lyrics into his flute.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 1:39 pm

^^Short n sweet. Love it.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2014 8:19 pm

corplhicks wrote:

That's a damn entertaining album, with a truly great album title...

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 AlbumcoverRahsaanRolandKirk-Blacknuss
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 12:34 am

S.D. wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

That's a damn entertaining album, with a truly great album title...

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 AlbumcoverRahsaanRolandKirk-Blacknuss

I've got it playing on youtube right now...gaaaaawd he is fucking that thing. Relentless energy.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 1:55 pm

One of the most under-the-radar talents in 1960s jazz is Duke Pearson.  He was the A&R Director and house arranger for Blue Note Records from 1962 until 1971.  In addition to finding talent, providing songs and arrangements for other peoples sessions and selecting the master takes used on the released albums he also recorded several incredible albums under his own name during that era.  Duke was a fine piano player more or less in the Wynton Kelly mold, but his true genius was his writing and arranging for small groups, he had the ability to voice arrangements in a way that sounded like a much larger band was playing.  This song Bedouin was recorded several times on Blue Note in the 60s (famously on Grant Green's Idle Moments album...which is actually a Duke Pearson session that he let Grant get top billing on) but none better than this version from his 1964 album Wahoo.  

The lineup is as follows:  Donald Byrd (trumpet), James Spaulding (flute & alto sax), Joe Henderson (tenor sax), Duke Pearson (piano), Bob Cranshaw (bass) and Mickey Roker (drums).  

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5