The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....

Go down 
+5
Metal-On-Metal
chewie
Akeldama
DeathCult
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:14 pm

If you dig Red Clay I also recommend Turrentine's albums; Sugar, Cherry, Salt Song & Don't Mess With Mr. T.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
If you dig Red Clay I also recommend Turrentine's albums; Sugar, Cherry, Salt Song & Don't Mess With Mr. T.

Thanks, dude. Got 'em saved for later.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Akeldama wrote:

The Cannonball Adderley Sextet with Yusef Lateef is one of the best jazz bands of all-time.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 2:36 pm

SD, I don't remember you telling me about this album!!! This song kills:
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 4:31 pm

chewie wrote:
SD, I don't remember you telling me about this album!!! This song kills:

It's a later classic. Some of the Smith purists don't like the overt funk direction of this album, but most open-minded fans love it.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Johnny Griffin belting out a "not for amateurs" solo live in 1981.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 2:52 pm

John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension - recording the song "The Fine Line" live in the studio. The performance starts at :33 (the intro music is a different track).

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Damn, that was rad!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Damn, that was rad!

Totally, the whole album is great.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Eric "bad motherfucker" Dolphy playing with the amazing Charles Mingus Sextet. Dude was from another planet...

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 3:10 am

Cool German Documentary on Jimmy Smith:

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 4:04 am

Cool chewie! I added it to my watch later list, I've thought about getting into some Jimmy Smith for a while now.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 pm

That's a really good documentary with some priceless footage of Smith.

When it comes to Smith's recordings, I start liking him around 1957, his earliest albums still had a little bit too much of the "roller rink" sound but he jettisoned all that and became leaner and meaner by the time he got to "The Sermon" (1957). Pretty much all his Blue Note albums between 1957 and 1964 are worth checking out.

It's important to note that he almost singlehandedly invented the jazz organ sound, while others had played the instrument previously, nobody came close to the groundbreaking shit he came up with.

Smith started out as a pianist, when he decided to switch to organ he rented a rehearsal space and woodshedded for almost a year...possibly one of the most well-spent years in jazz history, because when he emerged he had created an entire new vocabulary.

Amazing story.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Excellent post, SD.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 2:12 am

I found this looking for just the Burrell one:

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:36 pm

The Sidewinder was a surprise crossover hit in 1964, it was even used in car commercials. Blue Note would spend the next 3 years trying to replicate it's success, pretty much every Blue Note album after that would open with a boogaloo tune.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 pm

bump

Here's what track I'm currently jamming.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 am

That entire Africa/Brass album is fantastic. I was always partial to "Song For The Underground Railroad". Eric Dolphy did the horn charts for the brass section.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 pm

I decided to go a different route for this one:

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 2:24 am

That was a fun listen!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks, chew. Ronnie Verrell was the drummer who did Animal's parts in the drum battle against Buddy Rich on The Muppet Show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next