The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....

Go down 
+5
Metal-On-Metal
chewie
Akeldama
DeathCult
S.D.
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 4:17 pm

I'll definitely have to check out Newman more
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 pm

who needs amplifiers and distortion pedals? Johnny Griffin BURNS THE CLUB DOWN and this is the first number!

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:44 pm

UP!

A perfect example of where the blues/jazz/gospel all come together to take it on home. This is a MUST OWN.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:58 pm

That jammed!!!!!!! I gotta remember that album.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 pm

Do you not post in this thread anymore Shawn? I've looked through this and liked it a lot. I don't know any jazz really, so this is all I have to go by. I have one Coltrane album, Blue Train and I really like that one.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm going to resurrect this, thanks for the reminder.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Cannonball Adderley Sextet featuring Yusef Lateef - Brother John

Yusef Lateef wrote this song as a tribute to John Coltrane. This will seriously blow your mind if you let it. Lateef on the oboe is something to behold, if you listen to his tonality you can hear how it could be adapted brilliantly for the guitar.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Really liked that one! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Started a YouTube quest to find some jazz that I really like, and this is one I really like.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll have to hip you guys to some "soul jazz" which is essentially what that "Night Train" track qualifies as. Jimmy Smith is great, I'll dig out some of his deeper cuts soon.

for now, one more Cannonball Adderley track...2:41 of sheer jam, the alto sax solo is nuts in a very good way. Plus this band was seriously tight.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:54 pm

The original version of Chitlins Con Carne (later re-recorded by SRV)

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm

The last two you've posted are two of my faves and IMO staples in the Jazz world. Had SRV lived I'm sure he woulda done some full blown Fusion and Jazz albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Both of those most recent posts were most definitely to my liking! Keep em coming Shawn.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 am

Rusty Bryant (a personal fave) jamming on 'Friday Night Funk For Saturday Night Brothers".

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm

some Hank Mobley for you. One of the mellowest yet funkiest tenor sax giant. Greasin' Easy indeed.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm

...don't miss the Rusty Bryant tune on the previous page...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Love that Bryant track! What albums that on?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 1:35 am

DeathCult wrote:
Love that Bryant track! What albums that on?

The best way is the twofer "Legends Of Acid Jazz Vol. 1", it combines 2 of Bryant's late 60's/early 70's Prestige albums together. There is also a Vol. 2 and that one contains Bryan't signature song 'Fire-eater'.

Here is fire-eater....featuring Charles Earland on Hammond organ.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:34 am

I never been much into Jazz, but all this stuff you keep posting is pretty good stuff man I can see why you guys dig Jazz it's some good chill jams for sure.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 10:33 pm

gershom wrote:
I never been much into Jazz, but all this stuff you keep posting is pretty good stuff man I can see why you guys dig Jazz it's some good chill jams for sure.

Jazz essentially rescued my love of music about 15 years ago. By the time 1996 rolled around I was SO burnt out on rock music in general (all kinds, metal, classic rock, progressive, etc) that I felt like never turning my stereo on again. Then I went to work at a used music shop in Seattle and a couple of the guys were major jazz geeks, so I got schooled quickly. Pretty soon I was collecting jazz CDs, talking about it on bulletin boards and even made some real life friends that I still have to this day. It was a great little community.

Then around 2005 I started checking out new underground music and ran across both the Swedish retro scene like Witchcraft, Graveyard, Siena Root, Dead Man as well as British groups like Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin and some of the "stoner" bands I had missed over the years; Goatsnake, Solace and all the Wino stuff.

Now I listen to pretty much everything again, even the classic rock bands I was burnt out on sounded good after a 10 year hiatus. I went through a period where I listened to alot of metal, but I'm leaning back toward jazz again these days.

What's great about Jazz, is that it was around since the first commercially produced records came about in the 20's. So there was 75 years of all the progression and transformation that it went through prior to the new century to absorb. So even though I've been listening to it for 15 years, there is still TONS I need to explore...that's a good feeling actually.

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:06 pm

I love Jazz, but I only get into certain artists. Mostly thanks to S.D.'s reccomendations actually.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 7:59 pm

One of my favorite trumpeters, Blue Mitchell.

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm

The original, classic version of Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock. Featuring Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....   S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day.... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

S.D.'s Jazz Tune of the day....
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next