The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the HEART appreciation thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

the HEART appreciation thread Empty
PostSubject: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:58 am

In the 1970's when all my friends were KISS fans (myself included), I was just as deeply enamored of Heart. I played Dreamboat Annie, Little Queen and Dog & Butterfly just as much as I listened to Destroyer or Alive.

Now that 35 years have passed I can still get major enjoyment from listening to Heart. In fact I would say that time has only helped my appreciation.

I don't begrudge them their mid-80's success, I'm happy for them, though I'm not that crazy about that era personally.

I also admire them for "retiring" Heart for many years and focusing on The Lovemongers instead. I had the pleasure of meeting Nancy once and she said they wanted to make music without all the "dogma" that surrounded the name Heart. It was their way of just playing small shows and doing whatever they wanted without being forced to chug through all their hits.

If anyone is wondering if these chicks jam...just check out this video, Ann even gives Ian Anderson a run for his money on the flute solo.

Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm

another "lesser-known" gem (Devil Delight) from the same show:

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Nice man, Heart has always been awesome in my book, Ann has (in my opinion) the best vocals a female singer has ever had or will have, and Nancy really does wail on guitar and that's just rocks and is hot too.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Check out those videos if you get a chance, I'd love to get that whole performance at some point, it was recorded for a TV show in Seattle in 1976.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Quote :
Nancy really does wail on guitar and that's just rocks and is hot too.

She should be wearing that get-up the bass player is wearing with the exposed nips. I love you
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
Nancy really does wail on guitar and that's just rocks and is hot too.

She should be wearing that get-up the bass player is wearing with the exposed nips. I love you

I agree totally with that man.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:32 pm

"...and also because I'm a Big Dumb Male." - Steve Martin (L.A. Story)
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Shawn D. wrote:

Is this the one were Steve says if he had breast he'd stay home and play with himself all day, that was funny.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:29 pm

gershom wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:

Is this the one were Steve says if he had breast he'd stay home and play with himself all day, that was funny.

Yep, that's the one.

Back to Heart. I still think they pulled off the Zeppelin style better than any of the later "Zep wanna-be" bands like Kingdome Come, etc.

Heart understood that Zep's influences were far greater than just rock and they followed the same template of doing whatever they wanted to do and mixing whatever influences they felt like together to come up with their sound.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I still think they pulled off the Zeppelin style better

I totally agree with this statement, I might even say I like there versions better.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:16 pm

The cool thing about Heart is that even though they could do the Zep thing, they had many other styles they were comfortable in. They really didn't sound like anyone else, if you listen to the entire albums. Dog And Butterfly is another really unique sounding record, they touch on everything from folk to funk to hard rock to almost lounge like jazz/blues balladry.

Back to top Go down
Shawn

Shawn

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 am

Ann Wilson is still my favorite femail vocalist of all time. The woman is just incredible.

Heart was always very diverse and incorporated a lot of different styles into their sound (not so much in the 80s, when they were doing the AOR thing) and you can really hear the Zeppelin influence with even just a casual knowledge of Zeppelin (like I have).

I have not spun any Heart music on purpose in quite a while. All of the albums I have are from the 1985 self-titled onward so that is the era I know best. Although I know of all the hits prior to that..."Magic Man", "Straight On", "Crazy On You", "Barracuda", "Even It Up", "Dog & Butterfly", etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the HEART appreciation thread   the HEART appreciation thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the HEART appreciation thread
Page 1 of 1