The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"In The News" Thread

Go down 
+7
gershom
chewie
S.D.
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
theJOKERiv
Akeldama
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

"In The News" Thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Akeldama wrote:
Ok that post seems real...

Sorry for the confusion, yes the LA Times story about everyone's favorite Evangelical Chicken Shack is factual.

lol!

Hmmmm...kind of a funny band name there...Evangelical Chicken Shack, they could do Jimmy Smith covers interspersed with speaking in tongues.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
Ok that post seems real...

Sorry for the confusion, yes the LA Times story about everyone's favorite Evangelical Chicken Shack is factual.

lol!

Hmmmm...kind of a funny band name there...Evangelical Chicken Shack, they could do Jimmy Smith covers interspersed with speaking in tongues.

Chick-Fil-A is highway robbery anyway, the food is good but I've never been the kind to support all things Christian...

Great name for a band, I can see your idea played out, Jimmy Swaggart can be groupie control, heh heh.

Me thinks I'll have to go and jam the real Chicken Shack now!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:47 pm

RIP Sherman Hemsley

.......and check this out:

Quote :

Notes From the Edge

RIP Sherman Hemsley. His character George Jefferson (on "The Jeffersons") probably had little in common musically with that of the actor: Sherman was a huge Yes fan, and I remember a profile on him in TV Guide from the mid-1970s where he was photographed sitting in the lotus position, and the article mentioned how his music of choice was prog rock, including Yes.

I spoke to Sherman on a few occasions when I was running YesWorld, as he somehow got my phone number and asked me to put him in touch with Jon. The following is what I posted to NFTE #213, from February 12, 1999, following one of our conversations (don't know what became of "Festival of Dreams"). High Vibration go on, Sherman, and our hearts go out to his family and friends.

- He gets it all the time. George Jefferson of the '70s TV series "The Jeffersons"...a Yes fan?!? While it's highly unlikely that television character George would be rocking to CTTE, for actor Sherman Hemsley it's something he's enjoyed doing since the album was released in 1972. Before discovering the band Sherman was a keyboardist with a background in jazz, grooving to the likes of Mandrill (whose tune "Universal Rhythms" was an inspiration) and Horace Silver (with his album UNITED STATES of MIND), music that proved influential in introducing him to spirituality and meditation. He soon latched on to progressive rock (he was into Emerson Lake and Palmer prior to Yes: TARKUS is his favorite ELP album), and though his introduction to Yes with FRAGILE was unexceptional due to an abysmal sound system he immediately embraced CTTE. He has been a major fan ever since. (Some Yes vets may recall seeing a TV Guide article on Sherman during "The Jeffersons" heyday; a photo depicted Sherman in a lotus position, and the text described how he embraced spirituality and listened to such "far out sounds" as Nektar...and Yes' TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS.)

While Sherman continues to act (he'll soon be making an appearance on the ABC series "The Hughleys") he is exploring his own musical side: he is in the process of composing a musical titled "Festival of Dreams" with lyrics written by Yes' own Jon Anderson
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Sherman was a huge Yes fan? That is rad!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 11:50 pm

It looks like he was a BIG Progressive Rock fan! Fan of Gong as well! SD posted that somewhere.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 12:02 am

Here...

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/03/05/george-jefferson-worlds-biggest-gong-fan/

Sounds like Sherman was quite the partier, even had his own private "harem".

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 am

Dude, that's pretty awesome! R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 am

"In The News" Thread - Page 11 Screen10

"In The News" Thread - Page 11 Dinos310
But ol' Sherman Hemsley was also the blue print every boss out there tries to live up to. He did lot's of voice work in cartoons too, Scooby Doo comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Apparently, Sherman Hemsley was a huge Gentle Giant (link) fan as well.

And he was working on an album with Jon Anderson (link), with whom he was good friends with.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:38 am

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

S.D. wrote:
Chick-Fil-A loses deal with The Muppets due to their anti-gay marriage proclamation.

“The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over 50 years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors. Lisa Henson, our CEO, is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-fil-A to GLAAD” (an advocacy group for lesbian, gay and transgender people).

Also not a fan of Chick-fil-A’s position: Boston Mayor Thomas Menino. In an interview with the Boston Herald, Menino vowed to block the chain from opening up shop in his city, promising to make it extremely difficult for the company to procure the required licenses.

“Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston,” Menino told the publication. “You can’t have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion.”

Full story here:

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-chick-fil-a-muppets-huckabee-20120723,0,1227873.story

That sucks. Chick-fil-a is one of the few fast food joints I actually like. I don't want to be making some political statement when I order some waffle fries & a shake.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 am

I'm tired of the whoop-de-doo over Chik-Fil-A already. OK, we get it. If you're gay, they hate you, so don't eat there. Sheesh.

Till all this controversy started I didn't even know Chik-Fil-A was a huge corporate chain. There's one in the mall in the town I grew up in but other than that I've never seen another Chik-Fil-A, so I always thought they were an independent mom & pop shop. Imagine my surprise when I find out they've got more than 1500 outlets. I guess I need to get out of the house more often.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:22 am

My only question is, since when do people care about a fast-food chain's opinion on sexuality?

You're going in for a fuckin' chicken sandwich, does it really matter if the people serving you have a negative view on homosexuality? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for gay rights, but you have to be able to acknowledge the fact that some people aren't.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 am

If the CEO had just kept his mouth shut, none of this would have happened. It's okay to have that negative view...but a CEO telling that to a reporter in this day and age? STUPID.

Why would any chain want to alienate potential customers? It's a fast food joint, they should just hand out chicken sandwiches and collect money. But no, they had to make a "political statement".

Thus they deserve whatever kind of shitstorm comes their way as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine if the CEO of McDonalds said "I hate mexicans"...imagine the publicity that would get. Same thing really.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:31 am

Not only is it wrong ethically but as a proclaiming Christian he shouldn't have said he hated period. Let's see what happens now and if he shakes his fist at the God he serves for all of this when it was his fault in the first place.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 am

I once heard that Burger King supports fascism, so I don't eat there.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:05 pm

And I once heard BK uses real beef so that means real cows are killed so I don't eat there...
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:00 pm

I don't eat at Applebees's because of their staunch stance on making shitty food.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 1:35 am

Pat Robertson (one of the world's biggest tools and the poster child for making Christians look stupid to outsiders) said this...

Pat Robertson on the Sikh Temple shootings: "...people who are atheists, they hate God, they hate the expression of God, and they are angry at the world, angry with themselves, angry with society and they take it out on innocent people who are worshipping God..."

Let's start with "people who are atheists hate God". Yo, Pat...people who are atheists DON"T BELIEVE IN GOD. You can't hate something if you don't believe it exists. That would be like me hating Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Pat is a fucking moron.

The "angry with the world, themselves, society, etc"... Yo, Pat. That's part of being HUMAN, has nothing to do with believing in a deity. I've known just as many miserable fucking Christians as I have miserable fucking atheists in my life. Pat is a fucking moron.

And by writing this kind of vitriol toward atheists, Pat is angry with people who AREN'T worshipping God. Pat clearly needs to go back and re-read some of his bible teachings about tolerance and loving they neighbor.

P.S. - Pat is a fucking moron.

*yeah, I know, I just broke my "no religious discussion" rule...but this pissed me off*
Back to top Go down
Special Guest
Easy Target
Special Guest

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 2:00 am

Yeah Pat Robertson is a pile of shit. I remember when the earthquakes happened in Haiti and he said they were "punishment from God". Fuck that guy.

And on the subject of Chik-Fil-A. I'm a legitimate gay dude and could not care less what the head of a company believes. What I do care about, however, is him giving corporate money to political lobby groups to try to force his beliefs on everyone else. Plus, these are more often than not violent groups. It has nothing to do with free speech.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 am

We as people all try to push our beliefs on somebody else, period. Now regarding tolerance and the Bible, that's a conversation for another time. I'm not saying it'd not there but there are parameters and sometimes there are examples of the opposite but it's to be done in love.

As far as Pat Robertson goes he is a moron at times but he looks from a view of there is a GOd whether you believe there is or not so a person is either with him or against him, it's a matter of absolutes. But, you guys answer a sincere question from me and I will leave it at the answers you give and not push the issue any further. Why is it wrong for Christians disagree with certain issues, lifestyles, etc. to "hate" (as society puts it) but by and large it's ok to "hate" Christians? I know the Biblical answer to that but I want your perspectives and I'm not saying any of you hate Christians but just by and large. Thx in advance.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm

I don't have a problem with Christians as long as they leave me alone and don't attempt to "convert me" or "judge me". Unfortunately in my life that's not usually the way they operate and that's one of the reasons I barely speak to any members of my extended family, because they won't leave me the fuck alone and respect that I have a different view from them and have every right to have that different view.

I don't "hate" Christians, but when they start trying to push agendas into the political arena it irritates me to no end. Because in the grand scheme of things the government basically just uses religion and social issues as a smokescreen. The more they can keep the masses arguing over things like same sex marriage, abortion, evolution, etc...to keep them distracted...the easier it is for them to keep screwing us over because we've got our attention focused elsewhere.

We have major problems in this country, but what got the biggest press this month? Religious choice of chicken sandwiches. Yeah, our priorities are fucked.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I completely agree with everything you said and I too get judged a lot by Christians, I don't go to church b/c of that fact but I still believe the way I do and it's the God I answer to that I care to have a relationship with. If other Christians think I'm a hypocrite b/c I listen to "secular" music and Rock, Metal, etc. in general that's fine by me. I'm more interested in my personal relationship w/Christ but if I'm asked why I believe the way I do I won't shirk from it one bit but I don't go around being preachy. But being that I am a Christian who happens to believe in "aliens" and the like I am judged. I remember being single and not even being able to have a one on one conversation w/ a girl who had a mutual interest in me b/c the men especially thought I was gonna just end up screwing her...

I think we agree on a lot of things, SD, and also disagree on a few core things but that's fine but I think you'd be surprised on just how much we agree on. That being said I'm glad we all come here with a lot of shared interests and even where we are not alike we've all learned a lot of good music, etc . from one another and it took no proselytizing to do it.

And now...the REST of the story...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Rob Halford speaks on the Chik-Fil-A scandal:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wtf/rob_halford_weighs_in_on_chik-fil-a_scandal.html
Now that's class. Well said Rob, well said.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "In The News" Thread   "In The News" Thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"In The News" Thread
Page 11 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next