The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Thoughts Thread

Go down 
+7
MetalGuy71
chewie
DeathCult
S.D.
Akeldama
theJOKERiv
gershom
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie

chewie

Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:10 am

With my meager woodworking skills, I made plinths for my Dual 1215-S & 1219:

Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 Dscf0510

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 am

Good job Mr. Baca!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:22 am

Akeldama wrote:
Good job Mr. Baca!

Why, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 am

chewie wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
Good job Mr. Baca!

Why, thank you!

It's waaay better than I can do. I know how per se but if I had to use a band sawi'd shy away. I used to cut meat when I was young and bandsaws always made me cringe...if I sapped out and found the pieces already to size I'd manage I guess.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 6:26 am

I guess I'm an idiot but what are "plinths" and what are they for? scratch
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm

gershom wrote:
I guess I'm an idiot but what are "plinths" and what are they for? scratch

Turntable bases. Don't worry! About a year ago, I didn't know what it was either.

Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 1219b10

That's a fancy one, beyond my skill/tool level.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Ok cool, I just learned a new word "plinth" nice. This has been brought to you by the number 2 and the letter P.

Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 Herry_10
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 am

Fires all around us, been that way the last few months...
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Lazy screenwriting for film 101 by Aaron Sorkin:

Never was a big fan of his work and now I know why, the dude is a lazy hack!

Anyone else agree with me?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:

Rolling Eyes Jeez, that is pretty damn lazy. There are a couple films in there that I've enjoyed (The American President and Charlie Wilson's War) but for the most part I find his work to be very hackneyed and superficial. One problem I see is the similarity of material, lots of films about the political process, that narrow focus can definitely lead to self-plagarism.

The film writers/directors I most admire are those that are constantly trying new things, different genres and are constantly pushing themselves. When you only focus on one genre it's incredibly limiting and I think it stagnates your creativity.

Look at film directors that only do action or horror. Generally they'll have a couple great successes and then a bunch of mediocre work that are pale reflections of their earlier success stories.

Look at the difference between George Lucas (who stayed tied to the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises) and Steven Spielberg. The George Lucas that made American Graffiti is long dead, too many years of recycling Star Wars killed off his original promising talent. Compare that to Spielberg who has made films in almost every genre imaginable...while Steven has his share of mediocre films, I think the reason that he still knocks it out of the park occasionally is because he didn't try to keep remaking Jaws and Close Encounter his entire career. Schindler's List, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can...all good films that are very different from one another, that keeps filmmakers on their toes.

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Well, in a culture of Jersey Shores, Beavis and Butthead reboots, and movies based on 80's toys and board games, I think Mr. Sorkin has done a pretty good job considering what he COULD be writing. Hack or not, I couldn't write as well as he does and I doubt anyone here could either.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 1:34 pm

S.D. wrote:
theJOKERiv wrote:

Rolling Eyes Jeez, that is pretty damn lazy. There are a couple films in there that I've enjoyed (The American President and Charlie Wilson's War) but for the most part I find his work to be very hackneyed and superficial. One problem I see is the similarity of material, lots of films about the political process, that narrow focus can definitely lead to self-plagarism.

The film writers/directors I most admire are those that are constantly trying new things, different genres and are constantly pushing themselves. When you only focus on one genre it's incredibly limiting and I think it stagnates your creativity.

Look at film directors that only do action or horror. Generally they'll have a couple great successes and then a bunch of mediocre work that are pale reflections of their earlier success stories.

Look at the difference between George Lucas (who stayed tied to the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises) and Steven Spielberg. The George Lucas that made American Graffiti is long dead, too many years of recycling Star Wars killed off his original promising talent. Compare that to Spielberg who has made films in almost every genre imaginable...while Steven has his share of mediocre films, I think the reason that he still knocks it out of the park occasionally is because he didn't try to keep remaking Jaws and Close Encounter his entire career. Schindler's List, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can...all good films that are very different from one another, that keeps filmmakers on their toes.

I thought you would agree with me! I agree with on Spielberg - he tries to make different films, not the same movie over and over. I think you are correct about horror or action directors with some success then its very same-y. George Romero comes to mind - his first three Dead films where great, then they went down hill.....

I've like a few of the movies he wrote, but when I saw that I was surprised at his laziness. Brings new meaning to the term Same Shit - Different Day!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 am

I believe "aliens" to be more interdimensional in nature rather than extraterrestrial.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 am

Akeldama wrote:
I believe "aliens" to be more interdimensional in nature rather than extraterrestrial.

Sounds like you need to watch "Fringe".
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 11:26 am

S.D. wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

Sounds like you need to watch "Fringe".

Ok, I'm not much of a tv buff so what exactly is "Frinde"? A movie?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 pm

"Fringe" is a TV series on Fox that deals with "fringe science", alternate dimensions, etc. Think of it as a more intelligent X-Files.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
"Fringe" is a TV series on Fox that deals with "fringe science", alternate dimensions, etc. Think of it as a more intelligent X-Files.

Now that sounds like my kinda show, I like X-Files so if it's more intelligent I should like it even more.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Akeldama wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Now that sounds like my kinda show, I like X-Files so if it's more intelligent I should like it even more.

There have been 4 seasons so far, next season will be the conclusion of the series.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 pm

R.I.P. Ernest Borgnine...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 12:29 am

Akeldama wrote:

x2

on another note...

More rock bands need to use acoustic piano, listen to Vincent Crane's work in Atomic Rooster for examples of how heavy an acoustic piano can be.

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 12:38 am

Akeldama wrote:
X3
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:44 am

S.D. wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

x2

on another note...

More rock bands need to use acoustic piano, listen to Vincent Crane's work in Atomic Rooster for examples of how heavy an acoustic piano can be.

I agree but I think it's somewhat of a lost art nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 pm

I didn't really know where else to post this, but check this out.

Link --> Miles Davis' blind critique of some of his contemporaries in 1964.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 pm

That was an entertaining read, I dig how he gave props to Getz/Gilberto.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Thoughts Thread   Random Thoughts Thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts Thread
Page 7 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next