The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

METALLICA Secret Project?

Go down 
+7
chewie
manny
MetalGuy71
gershom
DeathCult
S.D.
Akeldama
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 11:51 am

Metallica has been filed away under the "NOSTALGIA" category in my head. That means that every once in awhile when I feel the need to revisit my teenage years I might put on a Metallica record, but they have ceased to have any bearing on my present day existence.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:30 am

And I still find it hard to believe it was the 3 studio albums between '96-'03 that I like the most. I still find their stuff from KEA to TBA and DM and Beyond Magnetic to be really watered down. I especially feel that way about their first 5 albums and at first I thought it was due to my deep affinity for Megadeth but it's more than that...
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:37 am

Well, I think we are all inspired by different things. The era you like the most I can't stand, but that's what individuality is all about, neither of us are wrong and we're both right.

If that makes any sense.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I was challenged to listen to "Lulu" again so I did that just now and I realized that I should like a project like this since I'm really inyo poetry and spoken word witjh an underlying of instrumentation. It wasn't as bad as I once thought but I really noticed just how much Metallica lacks in improvisational skills. I also think something like this would work depending on the contributing artists and I'm sure there are more Lulu like projects to come and even though Loutallica wasn't the first to do such a thing they're prolly the most notable and w/that being said, when it does happen that more such projects come out that's when and how "Lulu" will be deemed a success...

I still can't listen to this but I was challenged to jam it 3 times this week so...2 more times to go!
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:37 am

Metallica could quite possibly be the lamest fucking improvisational group of all-time.

The older I get, the more I realize how really average Metallica is across the board. Hetfield is really the only one I think has some real talent (when he's not being lazy as fuck and that isn't very often).

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 6:31 am

I've been saying they're average since I first heard 'em around '86 or so. I do agree that James does have talent but like you said, SD, he's just too lazy.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 am

Akeldama wrote:
I've been saying they're average since I first heard 'em around '86 or so. I do agree that James does have talent but like you said, SD, he's just too lazy.

You want to hear lazy? Listen to Slayer after 1992.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 am

Blabbermouth sez Metallica are about to start writing new music in the very near future. Oh boy!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Lulu is growing on me, if I look at it as a Lou Reed album and not just a Metallica sell-out failure I like the spoken word vibe. Hell, even my wife liked it and she hates poetry and spoken word stuff. I've tried to get her into Jack Kerouak to no avail.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Lou Reed with a sub-par backup group. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 4:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
Lou Reed with a sub-par backup group. Laughing

Precisely, but I wonder if even though they are a sub-par backup band did they play with a minialist approach on purpose as to not "waste" any "good" riffs on someone else or are they REALLY THAT BAD?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I think they are REALLY THAT BAD. It took them over a year to write Death Magnetic, give them enough time and they can muster something up...but put them on the spot and they sound worse than your average bar band.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 1:48 pm

I have been wondering for a long while if on Load, ReLoad & St. Anger Metallica were trying to sound more Stoner and Doomy but with overproduction. I know Load especialloy gets the Grunge comparisons but it seems to me they were trying for a Soundgarden meets COC sound.

What do y'all think?
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm

I've honestly never listened to either Load, ReLoad, or St. Anger. My favorite of theirs has always been Kill 'em All, and I don't listen to their others very often.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I prefer the Dave Mustaine stuff as well as the first two and the three I mentioned. Don't get me wrong, the albums themselves lack a lot of the Doom and Stoner elements but there are some things throughout those three albums.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 am

If they were attempting stoner, all they managed to do was kill my fucking buzz.

Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 pm

What is it with "Metalheads" and even casual Metallica fans that when a person says Lars and Kirk are sub par, Cliff was good but grotesquely overrated and James might have the best right hand in Metal but even his lyrics have always been borderline corny they give me a "WTF?!" I understand most have had their metal cherries popped by them and I'm in the minority or people who don't like them much and in an even bigger minority to think their first five albums (especially MOP and ...AJFA) aren't that good but damn!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:15 am

Akeldama wrote:
James might have the best right hand in Metal

Nope. Jeff Waters destroys Hetfield from the technical standpoint; he will always be one of my favorite metal rhythm players.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:46 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Akeldama wrote:
James might have the best right hand in Metal

Nope. Jeff Waters destroys Hetfield from the technical standpoint; he will always be one of my favorite metal rhythm players.

Damn, I forgot about Jeff... Point well taken.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 2:37 am

Regarding the original statement, I somewhat agree. I enjoy Metallica when I jam them, but I can't help but feel they're immensely overrated, both as musicians, and as songwriters.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 3:51 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Regarding the original statement, I somewhat agree. I enjoy Metallica when I jam them, but I can't help but feel they're immensely overrated, both as musicians, and as songwriters.

You had to be there at the time when it happened. In 1984 Metallica's Ride The Lighting was a revelation, now it's just a really good album...but at the time it had so much more impact.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 am

Metallica were game changers in '83/'84. After I heard Kill'Em All for the first time, half of the shit I was listening to (Def Leppard, Van Halen, Quiet Riot, etc.) didn't cut it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Metallica were game changers in '83/'84. After I heard Kill'Em All for the first time, half of the shit I was listening to (Def Leppard, Van Halen, Quiet Riot, etc.) didn't cut it anymore.

I can understand that aspect of it, that was never lost on me. "Hit The Lights" has much more going for it than "Jamie's Cryin'" or "Foolin'".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 pm

There was also a sense at the time that Metallica were some ultra-cool deep dark secret that only the really hip people knew about, so being a Metallica fan was like being a member of an exclusive "club."

I swear that for the first year or so that my bro and I were into Metallica, we couldn't PAY people to check them out. They were too weird/off the wall for most of our friends, we'd put on "Hit the Lights" and people would go "What the fuck is that?" Haha.

It wasn't till Lightning came out and the band started generating some "buzz" that those same people started getting interested. I remember my brother coming home from school and asking if I could let his friend so-and-so borrow my Ride the Lightning tape, then the next week another friend wanted to borrow it, etc., etc. so after a while I finally said "Just tell'em to give you a blank tape and I'll dub one for 'em." So my copy of the album became pretty influential amongst my brother's 8th grade classmates. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeah, I didn't take that into account. Perspective makes a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

METALLICA Secret Project?
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next