The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

METALLICA Secret Project?

Go down 
+7
chewie
manny
MetalGuy71
gershom
DeathCult
S.D.
Akeldama
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 10:07 am

Next time I'll read the whole post before I comment lol!
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 11:34 am

DeathCult wrote:
Next time I'll read the whole post before I comment lol!

LOL!!!! I listened to whole thing on the stream and it's a Lou Reed album with a Metal band backing him. It's also LONG, seemed to be 1 1/2 hours long. I think you really need the lyrics in front of you to get the story. I get what they are trying to do and they succeeded in making a an off the wall album - the music is very minimalistic, but that seems to be the point. It's basically Lou's poetry read over metal riffs. Some cool riffs, some not so great riffs. The lyrics are very poetic. I can't make up my mind if it's genius or crap. I suspect most people will absolutely hate it and think it sucks donkey dicks. Thanks to a good friend in High School (see above post), I get what they are trying to do.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 12:17 pm

I too understood from the beginning what they were out to accomplish and that's what intrigued me but after the bits I've heard intrigue turned to disgust. I will give it a fair listen while reading the lyrics at the same time though.
Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 12:45 pm

I've never been much of a Metallica fan and not much of a Lou Reed fan either, that said I finally got around to jamming the samples and the song posted, and could not finish jamming the song, I had to check if my ears were bleeding......I'll hold out till the new Megadeth comes out. This stuff was just bad, worse than Iggy Pops beat-neck crap. The music and the vocals are not in the least bit in sync with each other, it's like a wanna be garage band jamming while some old dude is ranting about life and all his geriatric bull shit.. uhhhhhh my brain hurts. microdeath
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 pm

'Tis now streaming in full ya blokes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 5:26 pm

I got through mid-way of the 4th song before I bailed out. This album is of no interest to me. And yes, I too giggled at the mention of "tits" in the opening song.

Did Rick Rubin have anything to do with this collaboration? It's almost like they're trying to revive Lou's career and make him hip again, like what Rick did with Johnny Cash on those American recordings.

Except this just blows.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Seems like a Captain Beefheart kinda thing. may not be my style, but I can see what they wanted to do.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I got through mid-way of the 4th song before I bailed out. This album is of no interest to me. And yes, I too giggled at the mention of "tits" in the opening song.

Did Rick Rubin have anything to do with this collaboration? It's almost like they're trying to revive Lou's career and make him hip again, like what Rick did with Johnny Cash on those American recordings.

Except this just blows.

The recording doesn't clip and isn't compressed to hell meaning Rick Rubin didn't produce it. The engineer on Death Magnetic (and producer on Slayer's World Paint Blood) produced it with Lou Reed's producer. I get exactly what they are doing - Lou is trying to tell a story and changed his backing band to a Metal band. I don't look at it as a Metallica album at all - I see it as a Lou Reed album that just so happens to have Metallica as his back up band. I guess Lou figured since Alice Cooper stole his band, he could borrow Metallica.

Since I can appreciate Lou Reed but I don't have any of his albums, I will be waiting for Manny's review since he is the most qualified person to review this thing on the board. Now that is a review I can trust as opposed to these dumb ass "critics".
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 12:08 am

theJOKERiv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Except this just blows.

The recording doesn't clip and isn't compressed to hell meaning Rick Rubin didn't produce it. The engineer on Death Magnetic (and producer on Slayer's World Paint Blood) produced it with Lou Reed's producer. I get exactly what they are doing - Lou is trying to tell a story and changed his backing band to a Metal band. I don't look at it as a Metallica album at all - I see it as a Lou Reed album that just so happens to have Metallica as his back up band. I guess Lou figured since Alice Cooper stole his band, he could borrow Metallica.

Since I can appreciate Lou Reed but I don't have any of his albums, I will be waiting for Manny's review since he is the most qualified person to review this thing on the board. Now that is a review I can trust as opposed to these dumb ass "critics".

I'll wait for Manny's review as well.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for the vote confidence and I will review once I purchase it and listen to it a few times, the one thing I can tell you is there is no way this album is going to live up or maybe this case live down the hype it has already produced.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:04 am

Whether it's forgettable or laughable or awesome or a downright train wreck...it definitely has people talking.

....and in this day and age if an album can cause people to actually "discuss music", I'm of the opinion it's served it's purpose.

Back to top Go down
gershom

gershom

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:26 pm

S.D. wrote:
Whether it's forgettable or laughable or awesome or a downright train wreck...it definitely has people talking.

....and in this day and age if an album can cause people to actually "discuss music", I'm of the opinion it's served it's purpose.

Very true man, it's good that people are talking music, and somewhere out there is some dude that just loves this album. As unbelievable as that can be.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Lulu A Failure(?) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Akeldama wrote:

Megadeth's new one outsold Lulu 3-to-1 during its first week of release. I'd wager that it probably hasnt' picked up much steam since then.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Akeldama wrote:

Megadeth's new one outsold Lulu 3-to-1 during its first week of release. I'd wager that it probably hasnt' picked up much steam since then.

I find it funny anyone expected it to do well.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 pm

DeathCult wrote:

I find it funny anyone expected it to do well.

Well, I'm sure their label probably expected it to instantly go platinum (at least) just like every other thing Metallica has ever rubbed its collective schwanz on. Now they're going "It only sold 20,000 copies in its first week? What the fuck?" What a Face
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

I listened to the album once and Metallica is more to blame for the failure than Lou Reed is. Sure, the whole project was contrived as hell, but Metallica COULD have made it interesting, instead they phoned in the most uninspired performance in recent memory.

Metallica has to to be the most boring and incompetent "jam band" on the face of the earth. They were the worst pick Reed could have made.

Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 am

I still don't know what to make about it, but I think it's awesome that they went in and tried to do something different.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 12:49 pm

See, I never had a problem with what they did on Load through St. Anger either, I always thought they were trying to be a little more Stoner Rock and stole a page out of Pepper Keenan's book. Of course I also hear some other more mainstream stuff as well that need not be there but they wrote some damn good music during that era, lyrically and production wise they lack a lot though. Lulu just plain sucks! I've tried to like it and maybe I'll try to give it another spin...maybe.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 pm

theJOKERiv wrote:
I still don't know what to make about it, but I think it's awesome that they went in and tried to do something different.

I was excited to hear LULU before it came out, one of the few people that actually defended the project at the time.

But then unfortunately it was released and I listened to it.
Back to top Go down
manny

manny

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 5:48 pm

I finally listened to the album, and I a huge Lou Reed fan but this album is.....hell I don't know, it really is a spoke word album then a rock or even a Lou Reed album.

I am still a huge Lou Reed fan but I have not made up my mind whether this inspired or inspid or bit of both, I still have not bought it, just heard it on the Net, will eventually purchase it.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:21 pm

METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield and drummer Lars Ulrich were interviewed for a cover story in the May 2012 issue of U.K.'s Metal Hammer magazine. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

On the progress of the songwriting sessions for the next METALLICA album:

Lars: We're circling the new stuff. We've started writing a little more in stages. There's so many projects that we do all the time When we wrote the 'black album,' we started writing it and we finished writing it without anything else [going on] — it was three months, boom. We don't do it like that anymore. We'll write for awhile and we'll go to Brazil and then we'll come back and go do a week's worth of shows with Lou Reed, and then we'll write for two weeks and then we'll pick our noses and we'll do something else and then we'll play the Fillmore, you know what I mean? So it's difficult to be cohesive in an interview about it. I don't really have any direction yet, and I've heard most of it. It sounds heavy and energetic and very METALLICA-like, but whether it's more like 'Death Magnetic' or more like this or that, I don't know."

On whether METALLICA is planning on working with producer Rick Rubin again on their next studio album:

Lars: "Rick is a lot about creating comfort and atmosphere and a vibe, and right now that's kinda how it's looking. We haven't sat down and gone to the next level on direction and practical elements and all that type of stuff. I saw Rick in L.A. two weeks ago and we talked about him coming up to San Francisco in March or April to start talking about the process, but as yu know, we've got another couple of balls in the air with our movie and live dates and the Orion festival. It never ends, and right now some of these balls are quite time-consuming. Rick is not a one-trick pony; he builds a particular ease around whatever your task is, so I think whatever we want to do for this next record, he will help us with that, whatever it may be."

James: "He's a different kind of producer. He's challenging. He's a very cut-and-dried, to-the-point kind of producer, but he's also very open, and open to lots of ideas. He does have lots of great ideas of his own as well. But I think that the main thing for us was getting to the core and essence of METALLICA, and that's the reason we chose to work with him. He gets the best out of artists that have been around for a while, I believe. And he helps you get back to that essence. That's what we wanted him for."

On whether they were successful in getting back to the essence of METALLICA on "Death Magnetic":

James: "I believe so. And, you know, that was just part of the goal. We don't really sit down and plan it outm like, 'What do we want this album to be?' It just happens. That's the way art's supposed to work. It is what it is. We don't try to mould it too much, because the more you try to mould it and the more you try to please, the more you have to compromise and the less of a statement it becomes. So these things that we do, they are what they are and people like 'em or don't like 'em. That's part of having an ever-changing fanbase, I guess. [Laughs] We do things because we feel the need to do them. Simple as that."

Lars: "We have an absurd thirst for going into uncharted territory, and there are obviously some hardcore people in the metal community who have a disdain for that, but that's OK It's something that we have to do, because it would kill us to keep doing the same thing and stagnate. A festival, a movie, a Lou Reed album, and spinkled in between those, all the live dates and records, is something that, for better or worse, we have to do for ourselves."
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:23 pm

What Metallica needs is Flemming Rasmussen or somebody else that'll kick 'em in the sacks and make them play their asses off. They're lazy in the studio nowadays.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 11:51 pm

I don't know if there is a producer out there that could fix everything that ails Metallica these days.

Probably the best tactic would be to force them to just jam together and write everything that way. Take the Pro Tools out of the equation and just see what happens. Most likely you'd end up with fairly uninspired "too white boogie" like the Load/Re-Load albums...but maybe a spark could happen. Who knows.

But they aren't going to do that, so my conjecture is essentially pointless.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 8:14 am

My buddy & I went down to the music store the other day and he saw "LuLu" for the first time. His reaction was "Lou Reed and Metallica? That's one of the worst things I've ever heard of."

That recording process is pretty lame. They ought to actually try to jam like S.D. suggested. It'll never happen, but they might at least record something interesting that way. I haven't really cared for or about Metallica in years except for the early albums.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: METALLICA Secret Project?   METALLICA Secret Project? - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

METALLICA Secret Project?
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next