The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread

Go down 
+7
gershom
MetalGuy71
Akeldama
Fat Freddy
Stender
DeathCult
S.D.
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Damn bro... I guess I should be glad to have a job?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 6:13 pm

I really wish one of my primary duties wasn't running homeless people away from the building.  At least 3 times a day I have to go out and argue with bums to get them to move away from the property.  If they don't move quickly enough then I have to call the cops, wait an hour for them to arrive, they show up annoyed and ask them bum to leave, then they take off.  An hour later the bum is back in the same spot.  This shit goes on constantly and it's driving me nuts.

We have a security guard in the evening and they take care of it, but of course they are too cheap to pay a security guard 24 hours a day so I end up having to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 11:26 pm

This whole thread was a hell of a read. Everyone still hate their job?

I raise my hand halfway. I'm self-employed, performing routine maintenance and repairs on cemetery equipment here in Ca. It's great, fun, lots of travel, profitable--but it's also fucking bi-polar. Been doing it for five years and the growth has been steady but the ups and downs have not gone away. I'm very grateful for it but there are days I wish I had a regular 9 to 5 with a regular paycheck. I hate two things about my job: 1. waiting for payment, and 2. working with people who are horrible at communication, which is almost everyone in this industry. Sometimes payment takes 30 to 45 days to be issued, and because of that it's extremely difficult to keep a slush fund. Trying to negotiate these windows to my terms is like pulling teeth, especially with the county locations. As for clients not communicating, this week has been a classic example where I've made a hundred phone calls trying to coordinate work and not a single one of them calls me back. So this week is a wash. Other issues fall in that second column as well.

It may sound great (I get to listen to music on my trips which average six hours in a day) and it almost is, but there have been three instances where we've gone months without any money at all, and my first quarter was so bad this year (I lost a HUGE client who dropped me without negotiation) that even my attorney was advising me to close my doors. It's a niche business that has some renown here in the state, and I have 60 locations on a maintenance plan, but losing one is losing an arm.

I'm shooting for service contracts next year, which is getting a warm response, but I may lose some locations...which I can't afford. But I need the commitment. It's weird, I have a vision for what I do and have to give myself some credit for how I've built it, but it's also a weird industry with some weird people from different divisions (private, corporate, county, federal, and of course Catholic). I have to approach each in a different manner according to their business practice. And sometimes their practices are frankly piss poor (keep in mind it's not a recession proof industry like many think it is; due to the increase of cremations over burials many cemeteries are operating in the red).

Maybe I'm complaining too much, but with a family to feed it can be quite frustrating. If I were single it would be no problem.

Also, anyone here had aspirations to become a musician and had to exchange the mic for the wedding ring? (raises hand enthusiastically) Yeah that always makes things harder haha.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2014 2:37 pm

I hate drama and I still hate the usual stuff I've always hated. The only thing I dig is all the time I get to jam the iPod.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Man/Monkey Hybrid
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 9:08 am

I love when my boss keeps us all waiting for our 9:15 production meeting that we have at the same time, every day while he's on the phone or reading emails.

But God-for-f**king-bid YOU arrive a minute late or interrupt HIM. You've never see a man get so pissy.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 11:08 am

Typical supervisor bullshit..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Makes me glad that my "supervisor" is in a completely different facility 25 minutes from here. She's a voice on the phone aside from three or four visits a year.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Had a job interview and it went "ok". I hope I did well enough to get that job. I WISH that I was better at interviews..... even my best ones suck!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 6:26 pm

chewie wrote:
Had a job interview and it went "ok". I hope I did well enough to get that job. I WISH that I was better at interviews..... even my best ones suck!

Interviews are the worst because you have to 'sell' yourself (a.k.a. bullshit a bunch of idealism), and I would think that few people hate such a concept. I hate sales in general so having to do so in an interview works against my nature. I'll never forget an interview I went through when I was 25 and the dude stopped five minutes in and told me (trying to be helpful) that I'd never get the job. He felt so sorry for me that he gave me his list of questions and a ton of pointers. It was embarrassing as hell.

That said, keep us informed. Here's hoping for the best.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 6:47 pm

corplhicks wrote:
chewie wrote:

Interviews are the worst because you have to 'sell' yourself (a.k.a. bullshit a bunch of idealism), and I would think that few people hate such a concept. I hate sales in general so having to do so in an interview works against my nature. I'll never forget an interview I went through when I was 25 and the dude stopped five minutes in and told me (trying to be helpful) that I'd never get the job. He felt so sorry for me that he gave me his list of questions and a ton of pointers. It was embarrassing as hell.

That said, keep us informed. Here's hoping for the best.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 8:36 am

So ... who still hates working? (raises hand)
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 11:18 am

I just had 3 days off in a row which was a rare treat, now I'm going back to work today then have tomorrow off. Yeah, I still hate it, but it's a slow rolling boil hate because of the extra time off.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 am

S.D. wrote:
I just had 3 days off in a row which was a rare treat, now I'm going back to work today then have tomorrow off.  Yeah, I still hate it, but it's a slow rolling boil hate because of the extra time off.  

I'm the lucky stiff who gets to work today (SIGH) cuz I'm out of vacation time to burn up.

I usually have a few hours left @ the end of the year for occasions like these but I used'em up over the past couple of weeks cuz my wife has been without a vehicle...so I've had to take the kids to their school bus stop in the AM and then I come into work a little later. I stayed late a few times to make up the difference but the past week has been ghost-town dead so after a while there was no point in sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

I feel like the guy in "Clerks," i.e. "I'm not even supposed to BE here today!"
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm out of this gig. Time to get a new job and fast. Fuck these assholes.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 pm

I've started actively looking for jobs again. While my current job is definitely low-stress and convenient...it's also wholly unchallenging and doesn't pay nearly enough. Need to actually earn an amount close to what I deserve for my talents.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks

corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 9:12 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've started actively looking for jobs again.  While my current job is definitely low-stress and convenient...it's also wholly unchallenging and doesn't pay nearly enough.  Need to actually earn an amount close to what I deserve for my talents.  

One position I always see around these parts is sound tech for our local networks--the salary they often post is pretty impressive. Is there a demand for that down there? Is it even a viable avenue?
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 7:24 pm

I don't belong to any unions which cuts out the majority of film and television work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 11 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11