The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Prog Song(s) of the Day

Go down 
+6
theJOKERiv
DeathCult
chewie
Akeldama
S.D.
Metal-On-Metal
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie

chewie

Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 12:59 pm

I could never really get into this song(like Siberian Khatru as an album closer). I know that it's a nice calm tune after the craziness of sides 1 and 2, but I wanted more craziness. I don't hate the song at all, but I don't love it either. It always seemed like it was just kinda there, very static, compared to the rest of Relayer.

Maybe hearing it on it's own, like now, might help.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Is that the same Black Widow that recorded Come to the Sabbat?
That's the song that popped into my head when I saw the name Black Widow.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Just about the only actual "Prog" song on the entire album...but it's a damn good one!

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 3:04 am

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
Is that the same Black Widow that recorded Come to the Sabbat?
That's the song that popped into my head when I saw the name Black Widow.

Yes it is! John Culley from Cressida joined the band for this album.

I REALLY dig that Asia song!!! I actually like the whole album. I thought Wildest Dreams and Sole Survivor had good prog leanings as well.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 pm

and a band I found when I was hunting down American Prog many years ago:
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Yezda Urfa is a band that a friend recommended to me just a couple of weeks ago so I'll check this out!
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Don't let the mellow beginning throw you off, it builds to a nice raucous middle!
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:10 pm

Hey AK, I'll either post more U.S. prog here or start a thread.......hmmmm............

I gotta bunch o' stuff, but I don't know if they are already on youtube or if I have to post myself (like I had to do with some of the Strawbs stuff).
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Sounds good chewie, I've liked what you've posted so far...

Nice choice there Spec, that is a great effing tune...
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 5:34 pm

I've yet to listen to chewie's post, but that Eloy song kicks ass.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 pm

This has Kit Watkins from Happy The Man and Camel playing the synth solo at the end. Great tune, weird album(in a good way). Another U.S. band. This is from 1985.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Today's Song:

Yes - Sound Chaser

One of Yes's jazziest/fusion type songs; and it has a kick ass guitar solo from Steve Howe. Relayer is a prime example of a perfectly executed prog rock album.

Can you tell I'm a fanboy? Razz
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 3:23 pm

You picked a good band to be a fanboy of man...I love that song.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Sound Chaser is an INSANE track. Patrick Moraz on keyboards makes quite an impact on the overall Yes sound.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 6:59 pm

The beginning of Sound Chaser is what it sounds like inside my mind most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
The beginning of Sound Chaser is what it sounds like inside my mind most of the time.

I actually think that would be quite bad-ass.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 am

Not technically prog, but such a great etheral track.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm

I can't seem to get this one to come up on my screen!
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 8:26 pm

Today's Song:
Opeth - Famine

This is most definitely my favorite album of the year.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 pm

I really dig this version of the song with John Hendricks on vocals. It has a strong Neo-Prog feel to it! The keyboard part sounds as if it was lifted out of a Marillion tune. Crappy youtube audio though.........
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 pm

chewie wrote:

I really dig this version of the song with John Hendricks on vocals. It has a strong Neo-Prog feel to it! The keyboard part sounds as if it was lifted out of a Marillion tune. Crappy youtube audio though.........

Have you heard the Dream Theater auditions with John Arch? They play Apparition (and maybe a few other songs, I've only heard YouTube clips). But they sound pretty bad-ass. It's awesome how John's voice has literally not changed at all over the years.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Smug Prick
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Quote :
Have you heard the Dream Theater auditions with John Arch? They play Apparition (and maybe a few other songs, I've only heard YouTube clips). But they sound pretty bad-ass. It's awesome how John's voice has literally not changed at all over the years.

M-O-M - Check out Arch/Matheos. 2011 album. Arch STILL sounds that good.

My album of the year by far; and Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldlt are nowhere on it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Metal-On-Metal

Metal-On-Metal

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 am

Guess I'll revive this thread.
Today's Song:
Fates Warning - The Ivory Gate of Dreams

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prog Song(s) of the Day   Prog Song(s) of the Day - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prog Song(s) of the Day
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next