The Workshop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Workshop Of The Telescopes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread

Go down 
+7
gershom
MetalGuy71
Akeldama
Fat Freddy
Stender
DeathCult
S.D.
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 am

The night guy in the building I work in is working days w/me all week b/c of Spring Break and I like the dude but he's Mr. Negativity and all he says is "Fuck" every other word and, "You know what I mean?"...I gotta find a good hiding spot.
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Akeldama wrote:
The night guy in the building I work in is working days w/me all week b/c of Spring Break and I like the dude but he's Mr. Negativity and all he says is "Fuck" every other word and, "You know what I mean?"...I gotta find a good hiding spot.

Now you know why he works at night Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Akeldama wrote:

Sounds a little like me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Well, like a battered wife in need of counseling, I keep going back. Just applied to a different position in the same department that shot me down last week. Wish me luck...
Back to top Go down
chewie

chewie

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Break a leg!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Best of luck, FF!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks y'all.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Good luck!!!!! Sounds like the recruiter is a an idiot. Telling someone with you amount of work experience they don't "administrative experience" is bullshit. Usually I have to tell the hiring manager they need to interview because the person is internal, unless it is something so idiotic like an admin applying for a VP of Sales job (and yes, that has happened to me)

Do you know anyone in the department? Often it takes the manager to push HR to get the internal interview to happen when the HR team are douche bags.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2012 9:49 pm

Quote :
Telling someone with you amount of work experience they don't "administrative experience" is bullshit.

I talked to my supervisor after they shot me down last time and she told me "Yeah, well, y'know you probably didn't want that job anyway." Turns out that they weren't looking for an "Office Assistant," they were looking for a "secretary"... and the main reason I didn't "qualify" is that I'm too old and I don't have tits. Very Happy

Quote :
Do you know anyone in the department? Often it takes the manager to push HR to get the internal interview to happen when the HR team are douche bags.

Unfortunately, no I don't. The department I'm applying at is in our other facility in West Paterson (I work in Rockaway -- I know this is meaningless since you aren't from Jersey). My supervisor is also in West Paterson though and I know she'd put in a good word for me. In fact, I know she already has. Fortunately she's cool, she knows I'm bored/frustrated with where I'm at and that I need a change.

I just really think if I'm gonna stay with this company, I need to jump over to the digital/internet division, cuz let's be honest, the printed word is on a decline and has been for some time now. Digital is likely the only department that's going to have any kind of growth in the future.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Telling someone with you amount of work experience they don't "administrative experience" is bullshit.

I talked to my supervisor after they shot me down last time and she told me "Yeah, well, y'know you probably didn't want that job anyway." Turns out that they weren't looking for an "Office Assistant," they were looking for a "secretary"... and the main reason I didn't "qualify" is that I'm too old and I don't have tits. Very Happy

Quote :

Unfortunately, no I don't. The department I'm applying at is in our other facility in West Paterson (I work in Rockaway -- I know this is meaningless since you aren't from Jersey). My supervisor is also in West Paterson though and I know she'd put in a good word for me. In fact, I know she already has. Fortunately she's cool, she knows I'm bored/frustrated with where I'm at and that I need a change.

I just really think if I'm gonna stay with this company, I need to jump over to the digital/internet division, cuz let's be honest, the printed word is on a decline and has been for some time now. Digital is likely the only department that's going to have any kind of growth in the future.

Hopefully it will work out for you!

I can see them not interested in a white male over 40 for an AA job
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Quote :

Yeah, well FUCK those racist, sexist mo-fo's! mind fucked
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Yeah, well FUCK those racist, sexist mo-fo's! mind fucked

Eh fuck them, AA's for quitters anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Well, like a battered wife in need of counseling, I keep going back. Just applied to a different position in the same department that shot me down last week. Wish me luck...

Well, this is encouraging. The manager of the "digital sales division" e-mailed me today and wants me to come in tomorrow for an interview. Neat-O.

Not counting any chkickens, but that's an encouraging sign anyway...
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Good luck, FF.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Well, this is encouraging. The manager of the "digital sales division" e-mailed me today and wants me to come in tomorrow for an interview. Neat-O.

Coolness! Good luck buddy, you deserve a break.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

AWESOME!!!!! That is a good thing! You got to the interview stage!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks fellers! Will let y'all know how it went ... it's been awhile since I had to go thru this process... the last few times I changed positions at my job, it was like "Hey, Keith, wanna move over to this department and do this?" "Uhhhh, yeah, sure, OK."

I will make sure not to make reference to flamethrowers or any other instruments of mass destruction during the interview....
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Transmaniacon MC
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Good luck dude!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Had the interview today... and I think it went VERY well. The guy in charge of the department seems like a pretty cool, down to earth dude, seemed to be pretty impressed with my longevity with the company and my skillz. I was intro'd to the guy whose place I'd be taking if I get the gig, as well as the rest of the department, looks like my kinda deal. Now we play the waiting game...

...and the icing on the cake was that on the way home I passed a record store, stopped in, and got the new Overkill disc four days prior to the official street date.
Back to top Go down
Akeldama
Cagey Cretin
Akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Good news all around, FF. I am so ready for the new Overkill.
Back to top Go down
S.D.
The Subhuman
S.D.

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Had the interview today... and I think it went VERY well. The guy in charge of the department seems like a pretty cool, down to earth dude, seemed to be pretty impressed with my longevity with the company and my skillz. I was intro'd to the guy whose place I'd be taking if I get the gig, as well as the rest of the department, looks like my kinda deal. Now we play the waiting game...

...and the icing on the cake was that on the way home I passed a record store, stopped in, and got the new Overkill disc four days prior to the official street date.

Cool. Generally if they take you around and introduce you to the department it's a good sign.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Still no word on whether or not I've got the new gig. I was out of the office for a couple of days due to the death of a family friend and just came back today. I had e-mailed the dude who interviewed me on Friday to say "thanks for taking the time to talk to me" and letting him know I was gonna be out till today, was kinda hoping that I'd have a "yea" or "nay" response waiting for me from him when I returned, but no dice (just a message saying "Sorry to hear about your friend, we'll let you know either way when we make our decision.").
I spoke to my supervisor today though and she seems pretty confident that I probably have the gig. She sez that she spoke to the guy while I was away and he seemed pretty impressed w/me, but didn't let on whether or not they'd decided yet.

GODDAMMIT THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!

On the flip side, I got an out-of-the-blue phone call from some financial service company today (?) who'd seen my resume on CareerBuilder. They wanted to know if I'd be interested in becoming a sales rep, helping people set up retirement accounts and college funds. I resisted the urge to be rude and simply told them that I am not a numbers guy by any means, that I have trouble helping my kid with his math homework and therefore it didn't sound "right" for me. She couldn't end the call quickly enough after that. Haha.
Back to top Go down
theJOKERiv
Iron Maiden's Towel Boy
theJOKERiv

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:02 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Still no word on whether or not I've got the new gig. I was out of the office for a couple of days due to the death of a family friend and just came back today. I had e-mailed the dude who interviewed me on Friday to say "thanks for taking the time to talk to me" and letting him know I was gonna be out till today, was kinda hoping that I'd have a "yea" or "nay" response waiting for me from him when I returned, but no dice (just a message saying "Sorry to hear about your friend, we'll let you know either way when we make our decision.").
I spoke to my supervisor today though and she seems pretty confident that I probably have the gig. She sez that she spoke to the guy while I was away and he seemed pretty impressed w/me, but didn't let on whether or not they'd decided yet.

GODDAMMIT THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!

On the flip side, I got an out-of-the-blue phone call from some financial service company today (?) who'd seen my resume on CareerBuilder. They wanted to know if I'd be interested in becoming a sales rep, helping people set up retirement accounts and college funds. I resisted the urge to be rude and simply told them that I am not a numbers guy by any means, that I have trouble helping my kid with his math homework and therefore it didn't sound "right" for me. She couldn't end the call quickly enough after that. Haha.

Sounds like you have a pretty good shot at it - if the hiring manager called your manager, it's a very good sign. It generally means that you are the final candidate (or one of the top candidates, depends on how many people they interviewed). The hiring manager wouldn't make that call unless they are seriously considering you. I don't know the process at your company, i.e. do they need to get an internal offer approved before they offer it to you.

Did your supervisor say if the hiring manager asked when she would let you transfer?

BTW - those "financial companies" are all BS jobs - they are all commission based. They offer a "training salary" which you have to pay back from your commissions once you start bringing them in. Basically, if you hit the numbers you are required to hit, your earning would look like this: Year 1: 40k Year 2: 60k Year 3: 80k Year 4: 100k. Remember, that is only if you are hitting the targets they give you. O, and those targets are really quotas. If you don't meet the quota, then they fire you for not hitting your numbers. You can make good money at it, but it takes YEARS. And it is very stressful - the stress of hitting the numbers or lose your job plus the stress of not knowing if you are going to have enough money to pay the mortgage.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:02 pm

Oh yeah, believe me, based on past experiences (see earlier in this thread) I am VERY skeptical of anyone who calls me out-of-the-blue just cuz they "saw my information on CareerBuilder," I figure if I didn't actually apply for it, then it's probably a scam.

If I had a nickel for every Life Insurance or 'financial service' company that's called me in the past year since I put my shit up on that site, I wouldn't have to look for a new gig cuz I'd be a rich man... haha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Stormtrooper Of Pabst
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Well now, considering that tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I had that interview and I've had no communication from the department other than an e-mail thanking me for my time and saying "We'll let you know either way when our decision is made," I'm starting to think that I got shafted again.

... so who's up for some flamethrowerin'?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread   The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread - Page 7 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The offical "I HATE WORKING" thread
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next